
Detectives are continuing their investigation into an allegation that a woman spent two days as a hostage before escaping in Newcastle - sparking an operation that involved heavily armed tactical police surrounding a house at Kotara on Wednesday morning.
A police spokesperson said on Thursday a 36-year-old man who was arrested during the operation had been charged over "unrelated offences".
Officers rushed to Park Avenue after a call from a 24-year-old woman who alleged she had been held captive since Monday and that her alleged kidnappers were in a house at Kotara.
Newcastle police commander Detective Superintendent Wayne Humphrey said on Wednesday police were investigating the allegation but that the information they had received was "very confused".
A 30-year-old woman who was taken into custody after she surrendered to police was released without charge on Wednesday afternoon.
The police spokesperson said on Thursday investigators were continuing to look for a 29-year-old man who was allegedly with the group and are still making inquiries into the 24-year-old's kidnapping allegation.
No charges have been laid over the kidnapping allegation.