Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Nick Bielby

Police continue investigation into former CBD Hotel inferno

Firefighters at the burning former pub on Sunday night. Picture: Marina Neil

Police have found no bodies inside a scorched former Newcastle pub after sending cadaver dogs into the building that was gutted by a blaze in the middle of the city on Sunday night.

Fire destroyed the former CBD Hotel site on the block between Hunter and King streets, with firefighters all night extinguishing the inferno.

Investigators sent cadaver dogs into the ruins on Tuesday afternoon, but no human remains were found inside.

Residents of the neighbouring apartment block told the Newcastle Herald on Sunday night the former hotel - which was sold last year - had been home to squatters recently.

Police said earlier this week the fire started after a reported explosion about 5.30pm.

The Herald understands the amount of debris inside the former pub is continuing to present a problem for investigators - meaning they had not yet been able to search the entire the building as of Wednesday afternoon.

"Detectives from Newcastle City PD have conducted preliminary investigations at the scene," a police spokesperson said.

"Investigations are continuing into the cause of the blaze under Strike Force Vickery. Police are urging anyone with information to come forward.

"Hunter Street remains closed between Auckland Street and Worth Place due to the structural integrity of the building."

The fire began in or near the kitchen, according to firefighters.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.