A Manchester councillor who was removed from his senior role has been cleared by police after 'outrageous' and 'malicious' allegations were made against him.
Labour councillor Rabnawaz Akbar, who was the executive member for neighbourhoods, was administratively suspended by the party last month.
It came after reports of an incident relating to a local Labour Party meeting at Burnage Academy for Boys on October 7 which police were investigating as a hate crime.
READ MORE: Senior councillor suspended and police investigate amid Labour warfare in Manchester
The Rusholme councillor was removed from Manchester council's executive yesterday (December 15), but he is now expected to return to the senior role.
He said: "I want, first and foremost, to thank GMP for the thorough professionalism of their investigation of these outrageous and malicious allegations for which they have found no evidence that could warrant further action.
"My priority now is to return to serving the people of Manchester as an elected Labour member for Rusholme and as Manchester city council's executive member for neighbourhoods and to supporting our city's new leader, Councillor Bev Craig, to meet the challenges faced by the City and implement her broad programme of progressive and inclusive policies for our city.
"I would like to thank my family, Coun Craig, my colleagues and my ward for their support through this challenging period."
The allegations came amid factional fights within Labour locally in the wake of the resignation of Sir Richard Leese who led the ruling group for 25 years.
Coun Bev Craig was appointed as the new leader on December 1 – the first change in leadership at Manchester council for a quarter of a century.
Burnage, which is the ward the new council leader represents, has seen a particularly stormy process of selection of its future councillor candidates.
Police are also investigating a separate 'disturbance' at another local Labour Party meeting which was part of the same selection process on October 21.
Manchester Labour group secretary Pat Karney said that the party has given the go ahead for Coun Akbar to return to his role after being cleared by police.
The administrative suspension will now be lifted by the local Labour group.
However, Coun Akbar has been formally removed from his executive role which will remain vacant until he is officially reinstated in the new year.
But Coun Karney said 'bureaucratic barriers' will not stand in the way of Coun Akbar returning to the role immediately to fulfil the duties of the 'vital' job.
He said: "He has an important job on the council. The Labour group have been assured by GMP that the allegations and accusations were unfounded.
"We've had notice from the Labour Party that he can return to his job."
A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police confirmed that the investigation into the alleged incident on October 7 has been closed.
There are no updates about the investigation into an incident on October 21 relating to another local Labour meeting, which did not involve Coun Akbar.
To get the latest email updates from the Manchester Evening News, click here.