Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon has apologised "unreservedly" to the family of missing teenage bushwalker, Lily Hooper, over a "miscommunication" she'd been found alive.
Searchers found a body in Nattai National Park at about 11.30am on Thursday, August 19 but it is yet to be formally identified. Police believe it is 18-year-old Lily Hooper who was reported missing on August 12 after failing to return from a bushwalk. Her car was found parked near the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail, off Wanganderry Road via Wombeyan Caves Road at High Range.
Mr Lanyon said an SES volunteer found the body and communicated it to a police command post, where Lily's family was waiting. But for eight to 10 minutes the family believed the teenager was alive and were reportedly hugging one another.
"Sadly, there was a miscommunication when the body was found and I unashamedly apologise for any additional trauma it may have caused her family and for the embarrassment and confusion it caused," he said.
"It was born out of the elation that Lily was found and her condition at that time was such that searchers were relieved, and certainly those at the command post were elated. Tragically, that miscommunication led to deflation and we know now the impact on her family. I unreservedly apologise."
Mr Lanyon could not say exactly what was initially communicated to family, other than that Lily was alive.
The information also went up the police chain of command to Minister Yasmin Catley. Premier Chris Minns announced in a budget estimates hearing that Lily had been found alive, only to retract this and apologise a short time later.
Mr Lanyon told media he had spoken to Mr Minns and apologised for the "misinformation."
He rejected suggestions the matter undermined public confidence, saying police corrected the error at the first opportunity.
The miscommunication will be examined as part of the coronial process. Mr Lanyon said police would look closely at their communications with SES and other agencies in the field and ensure how this could be as "simple and accurate" as possible, especially in remote areas.
Up to 1000 personnel, including police, the SES, RFS and the Australian Defence Force searched for Lily over eight days. Mr Lanyon praised their efforts in the "dense terrain."
"Our focus was clear - to bring Lily back safely to her family," he said.
"...Today is a tragic day and my thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathies are with the family. As a parent, I can't conceive the unimaginable grief they're going through."
Emergency services were working to retrieve the teenager's body from the national park on Thursday afternoon.
Mr Lanyon said police would continue to work with the family.