
Insurgents opposed to peace in the far South are behind the continuing violence and hope to provoke a harsh response that would attract widespread attention and international intervention, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha declared on Monday.
In a statement issued in response to recent lethal violence in the southernmost provinces, Gen Prayut, also chief of the National Council for Peace and Order, said those behind the attacks wanted international publicity through reports in news media.
This included the attack on a temple, in which two monks were slain and two others wounded, in Sungai Padi district of Narathiwat on Friday last week.
"Those behind these attacks want to use the violent incident in Sungai Padi district of Narathiwat province on Jan 18, 2019, to destroy the morale and patience of Thai officials and provoke full-scale suppression by officials, to meet international criteria and justify engagement by international organisations, as is happening in areas of many other countries," Gen Prayut said.
"Society, mass media, social media and other media should understand this point and help build confidence, increase surveillance and communicate information, and not support their attempts to do this," the prime minister said.
Teachers, students, Buddhist monks, religious leaders and the general public were soft targets. Authorities were trying to protect the people but could not do so completely due to the large number of them and extent of the area, he said.
"Peace talks will continue, to tell the international community that we are trying all means, not limiting our actions only to law enforcement. Some groups are opposed to this, and so they turn to violent means," the prime minister said.
The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation supported the Thai government's stance in this matter, he said.