
A plumber who allegedly stabbed another tradesperson outside a worksite at Blackalls Park this week is claiming self-defence, a court has heard.
But a magistrate has described the prosecution case against the 39-year-old as "very strong".
Shoal Bay man Gene Joseph Howard was charged on Monday with one count each of wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and affray.
Police allege that Mr Howard had been working on a construction site in Faucett Street, Blackalls Park, when he contacted a 33-year-old colleague and had a heated conversation with the man over the phone about apparent issues Mr Howard had with the younger man's work.
The 33-year-old returned to the worksite and a verbal altercation began between he and Mr Howard.
Police allege the argument became physical and Mr Howard stabbed the younger man in the arm with a knife.
The 33-year-old was taken to John Hunter Hospital for treatment of a wound to his arm.
Officers from Lake Macquarie Police District stopped Mr Howard in his vehicle at Boolaroo and arrested him on Monday afternoon.
Toronto Local Court heard on Tuesday that Mr Howard was claiming self-defence in relation to the incident.
The court heard that the alleged stabbing was captured on several mobile phone video recordings.
Magistrate Peter Barnett said the prosecution case against Mr Howard appeared to be "very strong", but Mr Howard's solicitor Mark Ramsland said he did not believe that to be the case.
Mr Ramsland called for his client to be released on bail, citing the man's immune disorder and tabling personal references.
He said Mr Howard would likely lose his job, which he could understand given the circumstances.
Magistrate Barnett said he did not believe the alleged stabbing was an act of self-defence because Mr Howard had armed himself with a knife before the confrontation.
But he granted the plumber bail, with strict conditions including a curfew and a ban on leaving the Port Stephens Local Government area.
The court heard that bail was granted partly due to the impact of COVID-19 on the state's prison system and the likelihood that it would be at least a year until the matter would be able to progress to trial. The matter was adjourned to October 26.
The Newcastle Herald reported earlier this week that Shortland and Cessnock jails were locked down on Sunday, among 23 prisons statewide that were closed as part of COVID-19 precautions.