Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Entertainment
Charlotte Tutton

Piers Morgan's 'awkward' encounter with ITV boss after his dramatic GMB exit

It may have been an awkward reunion on Friday, as Piers Morgan and ITV boss Kevin Lygo were sat in the same box at the cricket in London.

The pair were pictured together for the first time since the controversial departure of Piers from Good Morning Britain in March, and this week the show and Piers were cleared by Ofcom after thousands of complaints.

Director of Television at ITV, Kevin let Piers go from his role as GMB presenter earlier this year, with Piers agreeing to leave, after controversial comments about Meghan Markle with him branding her a liar following her interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Former Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan was pictured directly behind ITV boss Kevin Lygo (Getty Images)

Six months on, and Piers was sat directly behind his former channel boss at the Kia Oval, London, for day two of the Fourth Test.

England took on India for the match, with both Piers and Kevin in attendance amid reports of ITV staff apparently wanting Piers back on the show.

While Piers and Kevin weren't seen talking in the snaps, it would have been hard for them not to acknowledge each other given how close they were in distance.

The pair were pictured together for the first time since the controversial departure of Piers in March (PA)

Both men were having their own conversations, while insiders have claimed this week that the channel were fighting to bring Piers back on the show after his sensational exit in March.

It comes just days after Ofcom cleared Piers and GMB over his comments about Meghan on air, despite a record-breaking number of complaints.

Good Morning Britain was not in breach of the broadcasting code over comments about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s interview, Ofcom ruled.

An Ofcom spokesperson said of the decision to clear Piers: "This was a finely-balanced decision. Mr Morgan’s comments were potentially harmful and offensive to viewers, and we recognise the strong public reaction to them. But we also took full account of freedom of expression.

"Under our rules, broadcasters can include controversial opinions as part of legitimate debate in the public interest, and the strong challenge to Mr Morgan from other contributors provided important context for viewers.

"Nonetheless, we’ve reminded ITV to take greater care around content discussing mental health and suicide in future. ITV might consider the use of timely warnings or signposting of support services to ensure viewers are properly protected."

Piers stormed out of GMB back in March (ITV)

Ofcom confirmed that 57,121 people – including Meghan herself – had submitted formal complaints over the presenter’s comments about her.

Moments after the news broke, Piers - who exited GMB after the row - tweeted about his happiness over the ruling.

The TV host penned: "BREAKING: ⁦@Ofcom rejects all complaints against me over Meghan Markle furore that led to my exit from @GMB ⁩. Verdict says I was entitled to disbelieve her & Prince Harry & to restrict my right to do so would be a ‘chilling restriction on freedom of expression."

Piers then added another message where he asked if he was getting his job back on the ITV morning show.

He boasted: "I’m delighted OFCOM has endorsed my right to disbelieve the Duke & Duchess of Sussex’s incendiary claims to Oprah Winfrey, many of which have proven to be untrue.

"This is a resounding victory for free speech and a resounding defeat for Princess Pinocchios. Do I get my job back?"

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.