Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
National
Vicki Newman & Kali Lindsay

Piers Morgan brands Meghan Markle 'contemptible' after GMB exit

Pier Morgan has addressed his Good Morning Britain exit and called Meghan Markle's comments in her interview with Oprah Winfrey "contemptible".

The host quit the ITV show last night and insisted today that his departure was "amicable".

Speaking outside his home this morning, he said: "I had a good chat with ITV and we agreed to disagree.

"I'm just going to take it easy and see how we go.

"I believe in freedom of speech, I believe in the right to be allowed to have an opinion. If people want to believe Meghan Markle, that's entirely their right.

"I don't believe almost anything that comes out of her mouth and I think the damage she's done to the British monarchy and to the Queen at a time when Prince Philip is lying in hospital is enormous and frankly contemptible.

"If I have to fall on my sword for expressing an honestly held opinion about Meghan Markle and that diatribe of bilge that she came out with in that interview, so be it."

He added: "I think it's fair to say, although the woke crowd will think that they've cancelled me, I think they will be rather disappointed when I re-emerge.

"I would call it a temporary hibernation."

Piers said that he is "always in talks with people", the Mirror reports.

Asked what he would say to his Good Morning Britain colleague, Alex Beresford, with whom he had a heated debate during Tuesday's show, Piers said: "Good luck to him."

Last night, it was revealed that Piers was quitting GMB after refusing to apologise over the comments he made on air about Meghan Markle.

An insider told the Mirror that Piers had been ordered to apologise on the show over his rants about the Duchess of Sussex, but that he declined.

A source said: "This is Piers Morgan we're talking about, he has never backed down in his life – he's hardly going to start now."

His departure comes after a dramatic broadcast yesterday, which saw him storm off the set after a clash with co-star Alex, who said his comments about Meghan were "diabolical".

A group of Meghan fans had even launched a petition to have Piers axed from the show, something he had laughed off, and it was revealed yesterday that bosses had had words with him about his comments.

ITV confirmed his sudden departure, revealing: "Following discussions with ITV, Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave Good Morning Britain.

"ITV has accepted this decision and has nothing further to add."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.