Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Joanna Whitehead

Piccadilly line strike cancelled following last-minute talks

Drivers were expected to walk out over working conditions and staffing ( istock )

A strike on London’s Piccadillytube line has been called off.

The walkout was due to begin at 9pm yesterday and was forecast to end early on Saturday morning.

A Transport for London spokesperson confirmed that the strike had been called off following discussions with the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union (RMT).

The strike was predicted to cause havoc during a particularly busy week for London.

Footballs fans returning home after watching England’s semi-final match with Croatia would have been severely affected, as would protesters heading to central London on Thursday evening and Friday to participate in anti-Trump protests ahead of the US president’s arrival into the UK today.

The Piccadilly line also services passengers travelling from London’s Heathrow airport into central London. 

Drivers were planning to walk out over working conditions and staffing. 

A statement released by the RMT union said its member were to strike “over a series of attacks on working conditions and staffing levels that have turned the line into a pressure cooker.”

A normal service will now run on the line.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: “I’m pleased to hear that the proposed strike on the Piccadilly Line, planned from tonight until Saturday morning, has been suspended.

“Over the past two years the number of days lost to strikes on the Underground has been reduced by 65 per cent because we have engaged in constructive dialogue with the trade unions – which is good news for commuters, visitors and staff alike.

“This shows once again the benefits to Londoners of TfL engaging positively with our staff and trade unions.”

Nigel Holness, Network Operations Director for London Underground added: “We are pleased that the RMT has made the decision to withdraw the strike action planned for this week, which means that our customers will not have their journeys disrupted.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.