Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Entertainment
Verity Sulway

Phillip Schofield could quit This Morning as BBC 'lines up multi-million pound offer'

Phillip Schofield could be poached from ITV's This Morning as the BBC are reportedly lining up a multi-million pound offer he cannot refuse to get him on the competing channel.

Phil, 58, has presented This Morning show since 2002 when he hosted it alongside Fern Britton, and then Holly Willoughby since 2006, becoming an iconic TV duo due to their live gaffes and giggly innuendos.

But even if the BBC does make Phil an offer after his "golden handcuffs" contract ends in 2021, ITV could beat it.

Phil is currently thought to earn £1million a year, so any offer that would convince him would need to be pricey.

Phil could quit This Morning as the BBC is reportedly lining up a lucrative deal (ITV)

A source told The Sun : “Phil’s a telly legend. He has thousands of loyal fans who follow his every move.

“He’s become a prime target for the BBC who think he would be the perfect face for a number of new shows.

“The hope is a meeting could take place as restrictions begin to ease later this year — and he’d be able to give them an idea of how much he’d be looking for.”

There has been speculation Holly and Phil might be split up so This Morning can hire a black presenter (Getty Images)

MirrorOnline has reached out to reps for Phillip Schofield, and ITV for comment, and the BBC denied there was any truth to the story.

Phil actually started his TV career at the BBC aged 17, when he worked as a tea boy and bookings clerk.

He moved from the BBC to ITV in 2006, and his most iconic shows on the network to date have included Dancing On Ice, The Cube, and Text Santa.

An ITV source has said they fear Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield will be uncontrollable if their boss quits (mirror.co.uk)

It was also reported that major changes were about to happen at This Morning, with editor Martin Frizell set to leave.

A source told the Mail On Sunday : "Phil and Holly actually listen to Martin. Who knows what they'd do if he left."

Martin also revealed he was under pressure to hire a more diverse presenting duo, and reportedly said to staff in a video conference earlier this month he is “looking into” hiring a black host following global Black Lives Matter protests and discussions about improving race relations.

"There is not a black presenter on any of the programmes today. We plan to change that, we [This Morning] are looking into it," Martin is claimed to have said.

Another insider told The Mail On Sunday: "Kudos to Frizell for being the first ITV boss to pledge to make this happen. What we are all wondering now is, 'Will anyone go and, if so, who?"

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.