Agencies have been filing some dramatic and concerning eye witness accounts of the attack and the subsequent panic.
AFP reports:
People inside the casino recounted a terrifying ordeal when the shooting broke out.
“I was about to return to the second floor from my break when I saw people running. Some hotel guests said someone yelled ‘ISIS’,” Maricel Navaro, an employee of Resorts World, told DZMM radio.
“When we smelled smoke, we decided to go for the exit in the carpark. That’s where we got out. Before we exited, we heard two gunshots and there was thick smoke on the ground floor,” Navaro said.
Outside the complex, relatives of people caught inside waited on Friday to hear news of their loved ones.
“Our daughter called us past midnight saying she was in the VIP section of the casino and there was smoke and they were suffocating,” Gil Yongco, 42, told AFP.
“We are very worried about her. We haven’t heard from her.”
We are wrapping up our live coverage now. Thanks for reading. Further updates will be made to our latest news story:
Updated
The billionaire owner of the Resorts World casino has spoken to Reuters about the tragedy.
“With an incident like this, especially at Resorts World Manila, we certainly would ratchet that (security) up even more ... certainly an issue we will buckle down on,” Lawrence Ho, 40, who owns casinos in Manila and Macau, told Reuters in Hong Kong.
Ho declined to say how he would increase security but said his casinos already make use of surveillance and counter intelligence measures, metal detectors and security guards.
“We get news about what happens around the region. Occasionally, there are instability within geopolitics in the Philippines and the ASEAN region, so we take it (security) very seriously,” he said.
The Philippines is one of the fastest-growing casino hubs in Asia after Macau and Singapore. The government wants to build a Las Vegas style strip in the middle of the capital.
Some more detail about the events of last night from the Associated Press. The police chief Ronald Dela Rosa has said security footage showed the gunman ignoring a guard who tried to question him at the entrance.
AP continues:
He did not hurt the guard but went straight to the gambling area, dela Rosa said. The gunman stole gambling chips, shot TV screens and set gambling tables ablaze by pouring gasoline on them. It was not clear how the gunman smuggled gasoline and an assault rifle into the crowded casino, but the assailant did not fire at people he encountered.
The man carried a 2 liter soda bottle and may have had an extra container of gasoline as well. The room was carpeted and the tables were combustible, Metropolitan Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde said, and all the bodies were found in the smoky gambling room. Investigators were going to check if the water sprinklers in the hotel worked.
More than 70 people suffered mostly minor injuries in the stampede to escape. The only gunshot wound was a guard at the complex, who accidentally shot himself when the suspect entered the room, authorities said. A South Korean died of a possible heart attack suffered during the evacuation, the country’s Foreign Ministry said.
The owner of the casino Resorts World Manila has tweeted out a new statement in which it confirms ‘35 casualties’ along with 54 others injured. Assuming this casualty figure does not include the gunman that would confirm that 36 people were found dead at the scene.
A help desk has been set up at Career Hub 1, G/F NECC building. You may reach us at these hotline numbers: 0917-8728300 and 0917-8728756. pic.twitter.com/BVKtrOc8JT
— Resorts World Manila (@rwmanila) June 2, 2017
Summary
- As many as 36 people have died according to authorities after a gunman burst into a Manila casino resort
- The deaths which were only announced hours after the gunman himself was reported dead are being blamed on suffocation
- The dead included 13 employees and 22 guests
- A fire had been started in the resort and many people are believed to have been trapped on the second floor
- Police say some may also have been injured during a stampede of patrons trying to get out of the building
- The Philippines presidential spokesman and police chief have both denied any terrorist link to the tragedy
- The gunman is reported to have died after setting himself alight
The message that has been coming across in multiple interviews with Philippine officials is that the deaths cannot be attribute to terrorism which is afflicting parts of the country.
Ernesto Abella, a spokesman for President Rodrigo Duterte, said: “All indications point to a criminal act by an apparently emotionally disturbed individual. Although the perpetrator gave warning shots, there apparently was no indication that he wanted to do harm or shoot anyone.”
Earlier national police chief Ronald dela Rosa told DZMM radio: “Don’t panic, this is not a cause for alarm. We cannot attribute this to terrorism.”
The reason for the officials stressing this is the extraordinary events which have unfolded over the past 10 days in Mindanao state. The 200,000 population city of Marawi has been invaded by Islamic State-linked rebels and dozens of people have been killed. Martial law is in place and tanks are on the streets as a siege continues.
You can read more about this from our correspondent Oliver Holmes who has been there this week.
The most recent images from the scene are coming across and some show smoke still coming from the Resorts World hotel. Others show a heavy a security presence around the scene
Following on from that Reuters snap here is the confirmation from Presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella.
“All indications point to a criminal act by an apparently emotionally disturbed individual. Although the perpetrator gave warning shots, there apparently was not indication that he wanted to do harm or shoot anyone. The 34 deceased all died to suffocation,” Abella has said.
Police later updated the death toll to 36.
Updated
This coming in now from Reuters:
PRESIDENTIAL SPOKESMAN CONFIRMS AT LEAST 34 DIED, MOSTLY DUE TO SUFFOCATION, AFTER ATTACK AT PHILIPPINES CASINO RESORT
It should be said that there is some confusion on both the death toll as well as the number who are injured. Rappler, a well respected news website, has interviewed Chief Superintendent Apolinario who said that most of the bodies found in the resort were on the second floor. However curiously they quote Apolinario saying of the bodies: “I don’t want to say dead because some of them may still be alive”.
Metropolitan Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde says the death toll has indeed risen to 36.
“Thirty-six deaths, this is due to suffocation,” Albayalde told CNN Philippines.
Here is the latest Reuters on this developing story. It should be said that AP is upping the death toll to 36 now.
At least 34 people are dead after a gunman burst into a Manila casino, firing shots and setting gaming tables alight, Philippine media reported on Friday, in what officials said was a botched robbery attempt.
Police said the unidentified gunman had killed himself after firing at armed officers searching the still-smoking Resorts World Manila entertainment complex hours after the drama that began shortly after midnight (1600 GMT).
Many of the dead suffocated in the chaos as guests and staff tried to flee choking smoke at the complex, according to a report by ANC News channel, quoting Bureau of Fire Protection sources.
Resort owner Travellers International Hotel Group Inc said authorities were still seeking details.
“We have been informed of several casualties, the number and identities of whom have yet to be determined,” it said in a statement. Its shares were down 7 percent.
Around dawn, the body of the suspected gunman was found in a hotel room in the complex, which is close to Ninoy Aquino International Airport and an air force base, police said.
“He burned himself inside the hotel room 510,” national police chief Ronald dela Rosa told a media conference. “He lay down on the bed, covered himself in a thick blanket and apparently doused himself in gasoline.”
Resorts World Manila has put out a fresh statement via Twitter which appears to confirm that there are now multiple casualties.
This is a sad day for Resorts World Manila... pic.twitter.com/qjnOIMVSZR
— Resorts World Manila (@rwmanila) June 2, 2017
CNN Philippines is quoting chief superintendent Tomas Apolinario as confirming the death toll. He says that the bodies of the dead showed no sign of gunshot wounds suggesting the victims may have suffocated in the smoke from the fire at the resort or been caught up in a stampede which happened as the emergency was developing.
Up to 34 may have died in fire - local media
Reuters is now reporting shocking news that as many as 34 people may have died in the Manila resort fire. The BBC is also quoting local media saying that the death toll may be at least 25. There has been no confirmation yet from authorities.
We’re going to put this blog on hold now, pending fresh developments. Here is a full report on the night’s events.
The national police chief, Dela Rosa, after earlier saying the gunman “was killed by our troops”, has now confirmed that the suspect had killed himself after firing at armed officers searching the still-smoking building.
“He burned himself inside the hotel room 510,” dela Rosa told a media conference. “He lay down on the bed, covered himself in a thick blanket and apparently doused himself in gasoline.”
Gunman dead, police say
Local and national police chiefs say the gunman who fired shots in the Manila entertainment venue has died. But there is some confusion about exactly how.
The local police have been quoted as saying that he took his own life. “Our assessment is he burned himself. He committed suicide,” Oscar Albayalde said in a radio interview.
However, the national police chief, Dela Rosa was quoted as saying the gunman “was killed by our troops”.
Updated
Armed police sent in to deal with Manila gunman
Local military say that police have gained control of the entertainment resort in Manila after gunfire was heard inside in the early hours of Friday morning (local time). Here’s what we know so far:
- Officers were deployed to Resorts World Manila, near Ninoy Aquino airport.
- Early reports suggested gunfire and explosions had been heard. Police and the resort’s management later confirmed the former, though not the latter.
- The local Red Cross said 25 people had been injured. According to a local medical official, most of the patients were suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation and some had injuries such as fractures. None had gunshot wounds.
- Police believe that a lone gunman walked into one of the gambling rooms in the resort and fired an M4 rifle, but did not appear to target people. The man, described as “foreign-looking, a Caucasian, about six feet tall”, was believed to have escaped.
- Officers dispelled initial fears that the incident was linked to terrorism, which were heightened in the light of the Filipino military’s recent battle with Islamic State-linked militants and the subsequent declaration of martial law in its south. They said they believed robbery was a more likely motive.
Updated
The national police chief, Ronald dela Rosa, told DZMM radio the lone gunman had not aimed his weapon at people and that robbery could have been the motive.
Don’t panic, this is not a cause for alarm. We cannot attribute this to terrorism. We are looking into a robbery angle because he did not hurt any people and went straight to the casino chips storage room. He parked at the second floor and barged into the casino, shooting large TV screens and poured gasoline on a table setting it on fire.
He said the suspect was “foreign-looking, a Caucasian, about six feet tall”.
Police said there is one suspect in the incident at a Manila resort and that they recovered his bag, which was filled with casino chips.
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief director general Ronald dela Rosa said an armed, “foreign-looking” gunman was seen in CCTV footage breaking into the casino stockroom and stealing chips.
Dela Rosa also said the gunman carried gasoline, which he poured on to a casino table and lit.
Updated
Resorts World Manila released a statement about the incident in a series of Tweets:
Operations of the Philippine National Police are currently ongoing to address the situation. We cannot share with you any details that may jeopardize their movement at this point. We have no official information as to the identity or affiliation of the persons responsible for this attack. The Company has followed emergency protocols to ensure safety of guests and employees as far as the situation allowed. We will update you at the appropriate time. Again, we ask for your prayers and consideration during these trying times.
Resorts World Manila’s chief operating officer, Stephen Reilly, told reporters there was only one suspect at this time.
The suspect was still inside the building just after 4am local time, Reilly said.
He said a search of the building was ongoing.
Updated
Police: no indication of terrorism
Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the director general of the Philippine National Police, told DZMM TeleRadyo it was “too early to conclude” the motive for the attack.
He said the police were looking at robbery as a motive in the attack and that there was no indication it was terrorism.
"We cannot connect this yet to terrorism," Bato tells reporters.
— ABS-CBN News Channel (@ANCALERTS) June 1, 2017
Oliver Holmes, the Guardian’s south-east Asia correspondent, has an update on the status of flights in Manila.
The city’s main airport is a short walk from the scene of the attack.
Manila flights appear to be scheduled as normal. Gunfire and explosions reported near airport https://t.co/nP3GABgKex #Philippines pic.twitter.com/bfw83h3kk3
— Oliver Holmes (@olireports) June 1, 2017
This is how close the casino in the Philippines where explosions and gunshots have been heard is to the international airport. pic.twitter.com/ructamL9hm
— Oliver Holmes (@olireports) June 1, 2017
Reporters on the scene outside Resorts World Manila have posted photos online showing a heavy police presence at the scene, including an armoured vehicle.
Military armored vehicle, nakapuwesto na sa labas ng Resorts World Manila. pic.twitter.com/QN7glRUejG
— Michael Joe Delizo (@michael_delizo) June 1, 2017
Situation has calmed down. Police still inside. Trying to get injured people out of the bldg @cnni @cnnphilippines pic.twitter.com/ltS1W8wkZ3
— Camille Abadicio (@camilleabadicio) June 1, 2017
Updated
An Isis operative said “lonewolf soldiers” from its group were responsible for the incident at the Manila resort, according to the SITE Intelligence Group that monitors terrorist organizations.
Authorities have not said what happened at the resort, which was evacuated early Friday morning.
This comes as Isis-backed militants attempt to claim new ground in the southern Philippines.
Defense secretary Delfin Lorenzana told reporters on Thursday that 10 Philippine troops were killed in airstrikes aimed at militants in the southern city of Marawi, capital of the majority Muslim Lanao del Sur province.
Many resident have fled from the city of about 200,000 people as the army directs resources including helicopters and ground troops to fight the militants.
Updated
A video reportedly taken inside the resort just after the attack shows chaos as people sprint out of the building.
People can be heard screaming as they try to escape the resort.
מנילה: רגעי האימה שניות אחרי הפיצוצים וחילופי האשpic.twitter.com/PM5Eq61dED
— Amichai Stein (@AmichaiStein1) June 1, 2017
White House press secretary Sean Spicer said US president Donald Trump has been told about the situation in Manila and was “being provided updates by his national security team”.
The US state department advised travelers to monitor local news and avoid the area near the resort.
US citizens in #Manila #ThePhilippines - check in with family/friends on social media to let them know you are safe.
— Travel - State Dept (@TravelGov) June 1, 2017
Resorts World Manila is less than a 15 minute walk from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport’s terminal three.
“Terminal three has been locked down because it is near the Resort World,” airport media office tells the Guardian. “We still don’t know how this will affect flights.”
Updated
Witness reports are emerging from Manila, where sounds of gunfire were reported near 1am local time.
A woman who lives near the resort said on Facebook that she heard gunshots and explosions coming from the resort.
Videos from her apartment balcony showed smoke emanating from the resort and included the sound of gunshots.
The Philippine news site, ABS-CBN, said witnesses told police the gunmen were wearing masks and shirts.
Another witness told the news channel that someone poured flammable liquid on a casino table, then set it on fire.
TINGNAN: May usok na lumalabas sa bahagi ng Resorts World Manila. pic.twitter.com/qeDyt0JbZu
— Michael Joe Delizo (@michael_delizo) June 1, 2017
Updated
A resort official told reporters emergency services were called and the situation was still being investigated. He said there were no reported injuries “as of this time”.
PANOORIN: Pahayag ni Resorts World Manila Chief Operating Officer Stephen Reilly. | via @michael_delizo pic.twitter.com/5wFLDsDuVU
— DZMM TeleRadyo (@DZMMTeleRadyo) June 1, 2017
Reports of gunfire at Manila resort
There are reports of gunfire at an entertainment resort in Manila, where it is just after 2am.
Resort World Manila said on its verified Twitter account that there was a lockdown at the resort following reports of gunfire by unidentified men.
The resort is located near the city’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
Resorts World Manila is currently on lockdown following reports of gunfire from unidentified men.
— Resorts World Manila (@rwmanila) June 1, 2017
We ask for your prayers during these difficult times.
— Resorts World Manila (@rwmanila) June 1, 2017