Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
World

Philippine court rejects senator’s bid to block arrest

Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, the chief enforcer of former president Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs, takes a phone call during a session at the Senate in Pasay City, Metro Manila, on May 13, 2026. He subsequently fled the chamber and is still being sought on an International Criminal Court arrest warrant. (Photo: Reuters)

MANILA - ​The Philippine Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected a bid by Senator Ronald dela ​Rosa for a temporary restraining order ‌to prevent his arrest and transfer to the International Criminal Court.

Dela Rosa, whose whereabouts are unknown, is wanted for alleged crimes against humanity over his role in a bloody “war on drugs” during the presidency of Rodrigo Duterte from 2016-22. He ​has denied involvement in ⁠illegal killings.

Philippine authorities last week confirmed they were seeking to arrest the former police chief, who had argued in a petition ‌to the court that law enforcement had no legal authority to execute an arrest warrant issued by a foreign court.

The top court’s decision is the latest turn in a dramatic story that has ⁠gripped the Philippines since early last week and paves the way for his apprehension.

Dela Rosa emerged from six months of hiding last week and took refuge at the Senate for several days, before slipping away in the early hours of May 14, after a night ​of chaos and gunfire following his appeal for help and claims that his arrest was imminent.

The tough-talking dela Rosa was Duterte’s top enforcer of the bloody ‌crackdown during which thousands of alleged drug dealers were shot dead in police operations.

At the peak of the campaign, murders of drug ​users ⁠spiked dramatically, with police blaming those killings on vigilantes and turf wars. Rights groups say an accurate death toll may never be ⁠known and accuse police of systematic murders and cover-ups, which they deny, insisting those killed were armed and had resisted arrest.

Duterte is currently in detention in The Hague after his arrest last year and will ⁠go on trial charged with crimes against humanity. He maintains his ​innocence.

Dela Rosa’s lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The court said that while the restraining order had been denied, other issues in the senator’s petition had yet to be addressed.

Justice Secretary ‌Fredderick Vida ⁠said last Friday that authorities would “definitely” seek to arrest dela ​Rosa and execute the ICC warrant.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.