Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Philip Morris stop-smoking campaign attacked as PR stunt

The front of a four page wraparound advertisement by Philip Morris calling on people to quit smoking for 30 days is seen on the front page of the daily Mirror in London, Britain, October 22, 2018. REUTERS/Andrew Winning

LONDON (Reuters) - Marlboro cigarette maker Philip Morris International <PM.N> drew accusations of hypocrisy on Monday after using a four-page newspaper advertisement to urge smokers to quit cigarettes.

The wraparound advertisement covering Monday's Daily Mirror tabloid is part of Philip Morris's 2 million pound ($2.61 million) "Hold My Light" campaign, in which the world's biggest international tobacco company is pushing a 30-day challenge for people to give up smoking.

The campaign also features a video and a website where smokers can sign up for the challenge and gain information to help them to kick the habit.

FILE PHOTO: The Philip Morris iQOS heat-not-burn electronic cigarette is pictured in this illustration photo, April 23, 2018. REUTERS/Toru Hanai/Illustration/File Photo

Cigarettes account for the vast majority of Philip Morris's revenue, but the company has repeatedly stated a longer-term vision to replace cigarette sales with products such as its IQOS tobacco-heating device, which it says is less dangerous.

"This is staggering hypocrisy from a tobacco company to promote its own smoking-cessation products in the UK while continuing to promote tobacco cigarettes across the world," Cancer Research UK said. 

"The best way Philip Morris could help people to stop smoking is to stop making cigarettes."

FILE PHOTO: An IQOS e-cigarette outlet in London, Britain, January 25, 2018. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/File Photo

Philip Morris has said that Britain, where advertising and marketing of cigarettes is prohibited, could eradicate cigarettes in coming years. British health regulators have also endorsed e-cigarettes as a way to help people to quit.

"This campaign is simply PR puff," said Hazel Cheeseman, director of policy for Action on Smoking and Health.

"If they were serious about a smoke-free world they wouldn't challenge tobacco legislation around the world but instead support regulations that will really help smokers quit and prevent children from taking up smoking."

Last year Reuters published a special report on efforts by Philip Morris to subvert the World Health Organization’s global tobacco treaty, which is aimed at reducing smoking worldwide. https://reut.rs/2OEoUHQ

($1 = 0.7669 pounds)

(Reporting by Martinne Geller; Editing by David Goodman)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.