Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
TOM DUTTON

PGA Championship 2020 postponed until ‘this summer’

The US PGA Championship has become the second of golf’s majors to be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The tournament, which was scheduled to take place in TPC Harding Park in San Francisco from May 11-17, has been put back to later this summer.

It follows last week’s confirmation that April’s Masters will not go ahead as planned.

"Throughout our evaluation process, we have been committed to following the guidance of public health authorities and, given the coronavirus shelter-in-place order in effect in San Francisco, postponement is the best decision for all involved," said PGA of America chief executive Seth Waugh.

"This is a reflection of a thoughtful process. We are and have been working in concert with commissioner Jay Monahan and our partners and friends at the PGA Tour to find an alternative date that works for all. We are all very hopeful for a great outcome.

"We are also in dialogue with Mayor Breed and her team at the city of San Francisco and look forward to hopefully bringing the 2020 PGA Championship to TPC Harding Park at a date this summer when it is once again safe and responsible to do so."

The postponement had been expected following updated recommendations from the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

As efforts continue worldwide to contain the spread of coronavirus, the CDC has suggested that organisers cancel or postpone events consisting of 50 or more people throughout the United States for the next eight weeks.

The Masters was postponed last week after the Players Championship had been abandoned after the first round.

The PGA Tour has also cancelled four further events - the RBC Heritage (April 13-19), the Zurich Classic of New Orleans (April 20-26), the Wells Fargo Championship (April 27-May 3) and the AT&T Byron Nelson (May 4-10).

Major postponement: April's Masters has also been put back (Getty Images)

It said in a statement: "The health and safety of everyone associated with the PGA Tour and the global community is and will continue to be our number one priority as we navigate the ongoing health crisis related to the coronavirus pandemic."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.