Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Sage Swinton

Petition to save pantry passes 5000 signatures

DISCUSSION: Council staff speaking with Food Not Bombs volunteers on Monday. Picture: Lewis W Morley

A petition to save a community pantry at Hamilton has eclipsed 5000 online signatures with a community picnic planned for next Wednesday when it's set to be removed.

City of Newcastle issued a notice last Wednesday that the community pantry would be removed in two weeks after receiving reports of antisocial behaviour in the surrounding area.

City of Newcastle staff and police attended the train station park on Monday night, with council providing an updated list of resources for vulnerable people in the community to access.

Food Not Bombs were in the park providing food and a workshop on dealing with police.

Police have confirmed they will conduct regular high-visibility patrols within Hamilton CBD, "addressing anti-social behaviour" and to "engage and assist those in the precinct who require assistance".

"We knew there would be an increased police presence and sometimes that is very triggering," said Tom Wickert, who is involved with Food Not Bombs.

"We thought it would be a good idea to talk to people to be better equipped to understand what their rights are if they get stopped by police."

Mr Wickert said the interaction with council wasn't hostile and saw it as an attempt at "an olive branch".

"Being a bit cheeky, I said 'community support, that's awesome, it would be really handy if those were accessible when we're not there'," Mr Wickert said.

"I appreciate they showed up to try and offer support. It would just be good if they listened to what the community wanted.

"Our 'formal' support services are currently overwhelmed and are in crisis and we should be focusing on that and how each of us are addressing it."

Mr Wickert said the support from the community had been wonderful, with more than 5500 signatures on a petition to save the pantry and almost 500 people registered as going to a community picnic in the park next Wednesday.

"If the free shop gets taken, the community isn't going to be stopped from supporting each other," he said. "The biggest thing is if council wants to get in way of that or let it be successful."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.