Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
Sport
Jack Snape

Perth pitch not the problem for England in first Ashes Test as it receives highest ICC rating

Travis Head of Australia plays a shot
Travis Head guided Australia to victory in the first Ashes Test in Perth after England squandered their lead of over 100 runs on day two. Photograph: Johan Schmidt/Shutterstock

England only have themselves to blame for their two-day ­capitulation in Perth, after the pitch for the first Ashes Test received the top ­rating possible from the ­International Cricket Council.

The “very good” assessment by the ICC match referee was made on a pitch with “good carry, limited seam movement, and consistent bounce early in the match, allowing for a ­balanced contest between batters and bowlers”.

Australia defeated England in the first Test in Perth by eight wickets in under two days.

The tourists were well placed on day two with a lead of more than 100 runs with nine ­wickets in hand. However, a middle-order collapse ended their innings in fewer than 35 overs, and within hours Travis Head had guided ­Australia to victory.

According to the statistician Dave Middleton, it was the shortest Ashes Test in 137 years.

Cricket Australia’s chief of cricket, James Allsopp, offered praise to the Perth ground staff and the head ­curator, Isaac McDonald.

“The match referee’s ‘very good’ rating justifies our belief Perth ­Stadium produced a pitch that ­provided a fair balance between bat and ball,” he said.

“The dominance of some brilliant pace bowling from both sides and the frenetic nature of the contest meant the match lasted only two days.”

The brevity of the first Ashes Test disappointed fans who had made the trip to Perth, one of the world’s most remote major cities.

It has also forced those connected to the game to scramble to enact ­contingencies, and cost Cricket Australia approximately $4m in lost revenue due to the three lost days.

Despite the frustrations, Allsopp said the first Test must be ­considered a success, with Channel Seven ­reporting a TV audience up 60% compared with last year’s contest against India.

“This was disappointing for fans holding tickets for days three and four, but we saw some incredible moments which captivated huge viewing audiences and will inspire even more kids to pick up a bat and ball this summer,” he said.

“As always, we want to ensure pitches across ­Australia have their own ­characteristics and we’re ­looking ­forward to another enthralling ­contest under lights at the Gabba starting next Thursday.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.