A pensioner who made a violent threat to his then 69-year-old wife while armed with a knife had a two-year non-harassment order imposed at Perth Sheriff Court last week.
Seventy-two-year-old Douglas Gannon, now living in Kettins, will also be supervised by a social worker for the next six months as part of a community payback order.
Perth inmate left with severe burns after being doused with boiling water
Pubs and restaurants in Perth and Kinross to reopen under First Minister's lockdown easing plan
The OAP admitted that on July 14, 2020, at a house in Hall Crescent, Burrelton, he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner, likely to cause a reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm.
He then made a violent threat to his wife while he had the blade in his possession.
Previously of Hall Crescent, Gannon had initially been charged with assaulting his wife by presenting the knife at her but had his guilty plea accepted to the amended charge.
Solicitor David Holmes said his client had not been in any previous trouble.
“It’s very unfortunate that things have come to this pass, both for himself and the complainer.
“Because he has poor mental and physical health, a background report suggests it would be beneficial for him to have a social worker to guide him.”
Imposing the community payback order as an alternative to a fine, Sheriff Neil Bowie said: “I heard the circumstances on a previous occasion.
Nursery undergoes deep clean after cluster of COVID cases are discovered
Escaped prisoner pretended to be dog walker who had lost his pet to avoid being caught
“It’s a matter no doubt of regret to you that you have ended up in court at your age.
“However, any conduct which involves the brandishing of a knife is of some concern.”
Noting that the couple were now separated, the sheriff said the supervision aspect of the order would provide both “support and rehabilitation” for the accused.