Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National
David Child

Pedestrian killed on M56 after being hit by a tanker

Vehicles are seen on the M56 motorway near Manchester, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Manchester, Britain, May 13, 2020 (Picture: Reuters)

A pedestrian has died after being hit by a tanker on the M56, police have said.

Cheshire police were called to between junctions 12 and 14 of the motorway at about 5.30am on Monday, a spokesman for the force said.

The spokesman added: “On arrival it was found that an HGV tanker, travelling in the direction of Runcorn, had been involved in a collision with a pedestrian.

“The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene.

“The driver of the HGV was uninjured and liaised with officers.”

The M56 eastbound was closed following the crash for investigation work but later reopened.

Police advised motorists to avoid the area due to ongoing delays.

Anyone who witnessed the collision, or anyone with any information, is asked to call 101, quoting IML-707448.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.