Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Axios
Axios
National
Orion Rummler,

Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard shooting: What we know so far

Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam in December 2016 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Photo: Kent Nishimura/Getty Images

A U.S. sailor shot three civilian Defense Department employees, killing two, at the Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam shipyard on Wednesday before taking his own life, Rear Adm. Robb Chadwick told reporters.


Details: Chadwick said the injured shipyard civilian was in "stable condition" at a local hospital on Wednesday. The U.S. Navy and Air Force base stated the shooting took place near the shipyard's Dry Dock 2 and 3, and the area is no longer in lockdown.

  • Navy and security forces are investigating, according to the base as of Wednesday.

What they're saying: Hawaii Gov. David Ige (D) tweeted the White House had offered assistance from federal agencies, "and the state is standing by to assist where necessary."

  • "I join in solidarity with the people of Hawaii as we express our heartbreak over this tragedy and concern for those affected by the shooting. Details are still emerging as security forces at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam investigate," Ige said.
  • Democratic presidential candidate Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (Hawaii) tweeted a message of support for the victims and thanks to first responders.

Background: The incident came just three days before the 78th anniversary of Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.

Editor's note: This article has been updated with new details throughout.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.