Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Ellen Kirwin

Paving slab thrown from bridge through bus window just feet away from driver

A bus driver was left 'shaken' after a paving slab was thrown through the vehicle's windscreen while he was driving.

The driver reported the concrete slab was thrown from a bridge on Belle Vale Road onto the Huyton Travel 174 HTL bus.

Thankfully the driver was not injured during the attack on Monday, July 12, however a HTL spokesperson said if the slab had been thrown just 'two feet the other way' things could have been very different.

READ MORE: 'I'd do the same' say ECHO readers after axe man confronts youths

A HTL buses spokesperson told the ECHO : "There were no injuries but the driver was obviously shook up, two feet the other way and it could have been much different, the slab was thrown off the bridge on Belle Vale Road.

"There is a footpath that links to Lydiate Rd where the Arriva incident happened.

"There is substantial damage to the bus, this will cost our company in excess of £2000 to repair this."

On the same night, it was reported three male youths were throwing bricks at traffic from a bridge on Lydiate Lane.

Another bus, the Arriva number 76, was smashed up and the driver left unhurt but 'shaken by the incident'

Police are appealing for information following the incidents which they believe to be linked.

Enquiries are ongoing and patrols have been stepped up in the area to identify those responsible.

Community Inspector Peter Rexwinkel said: "This kind of reckless behaviour can have very serious consequences and it is extremely fortunate nobody was hurt on this occasion.

"I would like to reassure the community that we are working hard to find those responsible for these disgraceful incidents. We have had meetings with bus companies and the Council and are working together with our partners to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

"We have a dedicated policing operation, Operation Stockholm, focussed on the loopline involving officers patrolling on foot, bikes and an quad bikes, particularly in areas where the public tell us there may be issues.

"You will see an increased police presence on the loopline over the coming days while we work to find those responsible and to ensure the area remains safe for everyone to enjoy.

"We know the nuisance and disruption caused by wanton acts of criminal damage such as this and therefore I would urge all parents and guardians of young people across Merseyside to know where they are, who they are with and what they are doing.

"This type of criminality can have a serious impact on drivers and passengers alike and we will simply not tolerate such behaviour. If you know anything about who is putting our communities at risk in this way, please contact us so that we can take proactive action.”

Officers are appealing for anyone with any information on this incident to contact police by direct messaging @MerPolCC, ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’ on Facebook with reference 21000489165.

You can also call Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.