Paul Taylor has stepped down as Sligo manager after serving two years in the position.
His decision comes on the back of Sligo forfeiting last Sunday’s Connacht semi-final against Galway after 10 players contracted Covid-19, something that Taylor says he was “bitterly disappointed” with.
Last week, he said that Sligo couldn’t have fulfilled the fixture in the circumstances and lamented the fact that the game couldn’t be refixed, though in a statement released on Friday night on behalf of the playing squad it was said that “all players who could feasibly make themselves available wanted to play the game”.
However, Taylor said that family and work commitments, along with the Covid-19 pandemic, were the main reasons behind his decision.
On the field, the former star forward endured a difficult two seasons in the role as Sligo lost all of their League and Championship games in 2019 and dropped to Division Four, where they won three of their seven games this year and didn’t challenge strongly for promotion.
Despite that, Taylor insisted in a statement issued to Ocean FM that there had been “significant improvement” during his tenure.
In full, his statement reads: “After careful consideration I wish to confirm that I am stepping down as Sligo GAA county manager. Family commitments, work commitments and the current health crisis are the primary factors in my decision.
“I accepted the county manager position two years ago knowing that the team was in a transition phase – with older and experienced players retiring and new younger players called up to county football.
“Notwithstanding that, there has been significant improvement in the team over the past two years.
“The players, management team and I have worked tirelessly to develop the players and the squad. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the players for their commitment, positive attitude and loyalty during my tenure.
“I would also like to thank the backroom and management team who have stood together over the last two years and especially over the last few months where we saw many changes to our daily lives.
“After all the hard work and preparations, I was bitterly disappointed that we were forced to withdraw from the Connacht SFC tie with Galway due to a Covid-19 outbreak.
“For any GAA player, the honour to wear your county colours is one which stays with you a lifetime. I have been fortunate to not only manage the county team, but to also wear the county jersey.
“I hope to return to GAA football management in the future as the GAA is one of my true passions and will always be close to my heart.
“I want to thank the supporters, my friends and my family, Naomi and our four children who supported me during the last two years. Finally, I would like to wish the Sligo players, the Sligo County Board and my successor the very best of luck in the future.”