
The NSW State Parole Authority has reserved its decision as to whether to revoke the freedom of convicted paedophile and former Swansea MP Milton Orkopoulos over his alleged breach of parole until the matter has been dealt with in court.
The 62-year-old faced Waverley Local Court on Wednesday charged with two counts of failing to comply with reporting obligations related to the conditions of his release from jail last month.
Orkopoulos, who spent four years on Lake Macquarie City Council and served in NSW Parliament for Labor between 1999 and 2006, walked free 11 years into his sentence of 13 years and five months after being convicted of a range of child sex charges.
Police arrested the former minister at a home in Sydney's south-east about 7am on Wednesday.
It came after officers found Orkopoulos had "possibly failed to report changed personal information as per his obligations for a court order" during an inspection of the Malabar premises last week, police said.
In court on Wednesday, Magistrate Greg Grogin granted Orkopoulos continued bail and excused him from appearing at the next mention of the matter on February 5.
The NSW State Parole Authority convened a meeting earlier in the morning to discuss whether to revoke Orkopoulos' parole.
The authority said in a statement, after he appeared in court, that it had stood the matter over until February 19.
"The [NSW State Parole Authority] advises no decision will be made regarding his revocation of parole until the outstanding charges are dealt with," the authority said.
Orkopoulos had been in jail since 2008, after he was convicted of 30 charges including multiple counts of having sex with a male between 10 and 18, indecent assault, supplying prohibited drugs and possessing child pornography between 1995 and 2006.
He was first eligible for parole in early 2017 and his sentence expires in October, 2021 and was subject to 18 conditions as part of his release.