Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Abigail O'Leary

Dad warned school about 'extreme bullying' before boy’s death on train tracks

A parent reportedly warned a school about "extreme bullying" before a 14-year-old pupil died in a 'deliberate act' at a train station.

Tragic pupil Sam Connor, who was described by pals as “kind and caring”, died on the tracks at Chertsey, Surrey, on Monday.

Now, a father and commuter who used the station said he previously wrote to Salesian School to report bullying by its pupils.

The dad-of-two, who does not wish to be named, said he saw a boy being hit over the head with a bottle and witnessed a gang of lads question a 12-year-old girl about her sexuality at Chertsey sataion.

He witnessed the distressing scenes last June, and decided to speak out after hearing Sam reportedly clambered onto the tracks before being hit by a rush hour train.

He said: "There was a clearly of culture of bullying at the school going on at the time but to them, it appears the responsibility ends at the school gates.

Sam reportedly climbed onto the tracks after handing his bag and a note to a fellow student (Surrey Live / Darren Pepe)

"It shouldn't take a boy dying for the school to sit up and take notice."

After witnessing the incident last year, the father emailed to school to alert them to what was going on, reports the Sun .

In the email, he said: "I think it should be mandatory that a teacher or a responsible person from your school accompanies the children on the train in the mornings and evenings, as I first had to tell a boy to stop beating up another boy on the seat next to me. This is bullying.

"I then had the misfortune of overhearing a boy questioning a young girl of about 11 or 12 who was surrounded by other children about her sexual history"

The father branded the students' behaviour as "abuse and bullying of the highest order".

Salesian School did issue an apology over the pupils' behaviour, but said "resources are limited" and staff would not be able to accompany children to and from the station to school.

Chertsey Station in Surrey, where Sam Connor died on Monday (Surrey Live / Darren Pepe)

Up to 100 pupils are understood to use the train to get to and from the school each day.

Sam had reportedly been bullied online by trolls who posted cruel comments about the student.

He reportedly handed his schoolbag and a phone to fellow students before climbing onto the tracks.

A note left by the tragic teen also contained two names, it is believed.

One of Sam's devastated relatives told MailOnline: "There were just a couple of names and the code to his phone. He was a smart kid, you know. I think if anything went wrong he's put it in his phone and said, there you go.

"He handed the phone over and the password and also a couple of names, when he handed it to his friend."

Deborah Barrett, mother of Sam's half-sisters, paid tribute to the teen, who was the youngest of six.

Floral tributes tied to the fence at Chertsey Station (Surrey Live / Darren Pepe)

She said: “He was a sensitive little soul, a cute little thing who was into gaming.

“He was funny and sarcastic with a great sense of humour.”

She said his close-knit family from nearby Ashford, Surrey, would be devastated.

Neighbours described him as a “lovely, polite lad” who was regularly seen riding his bike in the area.

“He was often in here and would be with his big brother,” said a shopkeeper nearby.

“He was always so polite and a really lovely lad. I just can’t believe what has happened.”

“He was a good polite boy. Fourteen is no age to die.”

A friend from primary school who laid flowers at the scene with her aunt told the Mirror: “He was a kind, caring boy. He was always nice to everyone.”

The school said they had "no record" of Sam being bullied.

Head teacher James Kibble said: "We were devastated to find out that, following an incident at Chertsey station, one of our Year 9 students died.

"This is an incredibly difficult situation for everyone, but knowing the faith, compassion and strength of our school community, I am confident that we will work together to support one another.

"We would ask that our community joins together to remember the student and their family in their prayers at this incredibly sad time.”

Mirror Online has contacted the school for further comment.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.