CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Carolina Panthers released veteran defensive tackle Kawann Short on Wednesday, a league source with knowledge of the decision told The Charlotte Observer.
The 32-year old defensive tackle had one year remaining on his contract. The move, which the team confirmed, was expected going into the offseason and will save the Panthers about $8.6 million in cap space. He would have occupied $19.6 million in cap space on the roster and will still account for $11 million in dead cap for the 2021 season. Because it is not a post-June 1 designation, the team will not spread the dead cap hit over 2021 and 2022.
“We’re all grown here, so you know what it is,” Short said on his future with the Panthers at the end of the 2020 season. “It’s a ‘what-can-you-do-for-me-now’ type of business.”
He was originally selected by the Panthers in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft out of Purdue. Short is a two-time Pro Bowler and had only missed two games prior to the 2019 season, but was forced to sit out a combined 27 games over the last two years due to two season-ending shoulder injuries.
“It was just a gruesome injury on my behalf because I worked so hard trying to put myself in position to come back and play this year, and for it to happen to my other shoulder, I don’t have the answers, I don’t know why I did it,” Short said of his most recent shoulder surgery. “I don’t know, (if it was) meant to happen or anything like that. I asked that question every day, but at the end of the day, it happened. Now (I’m) getting over it and getting better by the day.”
He had 32.5 career sacks (seventh-most in franchise history and most for a Panthers defensive tackle), 280 total tackles, 59 tackles for loss and 88 quarterback hits during his eight seasons in Carolina. From 2015-17, Short was third among all NFL defensive tackles in sacks (24.5), fourth in tackles for loss (35) and fifth in quarterback hits (52). His 11 sacks in 2015 are the most by a defensive tackle in a season in team history.
The Panthers took defensive tackle Derrick Brown seventh overall in the last year’s draft to work with Short. However, Short’s early injury cut down the duo’s time together on the line; he remained a mentor to the rookie.
There is not a clear successor to Short on the roster. Sixth-round pick Bravvion Roy played well as a backup, but is not viewed at this point as a full-time starter in coordinator Phil Snow’s defense. Veteran Zach Kerr is under contract for another season and is in line to compete for the role. Efe Obada is a restricted free agent this offseason but makes even more sense to bring back for the line rotation after officially cutting Short. Obada had his best season yet in 2020, playing inside and on the edge.
The team will put a priority on finding a three-technique defensive tackle to replace Short as a starter. Among names to keep an eye on include Seattle Seahawks’ Jarran Reed, who is a candidate to be cut this offseason and has a connection with general manager Scott Fitterer, and New England Patriots’ lineman Lawrence Guy, who would be a candidate if the team decides to invest highly in the position.
Carolina could also look to the draft to replace Short, although after investing highly in Brown last year, the Panthers will likely address other needs early on.
Short signed a five-year, $80.5 million extension in 2017 that put him among the top-five highest-paid defensive tackles at the time in terms of per-year average ($16.1 million) and money guaranteed at signing ($35 million).
The team’s oldest defensive player, Short is the latest in a series of veteran players to be released by the team after moving on from almost the entire defensive line last offseason. Releasing him early in the year will increase his chances of a favorable signing in free agency. Many teams have begun releasing veteran players with significant contracts this offseason, partly due to an expected decrease in the salary cap.
“It’s a business, so I understand. I take it with a grain of salt if they don’t or if they do,” Short said. “I’m going to still continue to do what I need to do to put myself in position to play next year.”
The money saved in moving on from Short could be used to franchise tag or come to terms on a deal with upcoming free agent right tackle Taylor Moton and/or in addressing the quarterback position, with Carolina interested in Deshaun Watson if he is indeed traded. The Panthers also have to address the offensive line with four of five starters slated to become free agents.
“It definitely starts with the quarterback, but I believe in building a team on both sides of the line, offensive line, defensive line,” Fitterer said last month of building a team last month. “You have to be able to protect the quarterback, you have to be able to get after the quarterback. At my core, quarterback, offensive line, defensive line, is where it’s going to start.”