
Jordan registered on Saturday its first coronavirus death, reported the state news agency Petra.
The victim was identified as an 83-year-old woman who suffered from health problems before contracting the novel virus.
As of Friday, the kingdom had 235 confirmed virus cases.
In the neighboring Palestinian territories, the government announced on Saturday that the number of coronavirus patients has risen to 97 after the detection of six new cases.
Health ministry spokesman Ibrahim Melhem said four infections were detected in Bethlehem and two in villages in the Jerusalem province.
Authorities have reported a total of 18 recoveries.
Melhem stressed that the government was holding intense contacts to ensure the delivery of necessary coronavirus test kits.
More cases in Lebanon, Sudan
In Lebanon, the health ministry reported 12 new cases, bringing the country’s tally to 412.
One octogenarian patient died, raising the death toll to eight.
The ministry urged the people to commit to the preventative measures, especially the curfew, which has become every “individual’s moral and societal duty.” It warned that violators will be held criminally and legally responsible.
Meanwhile, quarantine authorities at Cairo International Airport were on maximum alert as they tested 140 Egyptian passengers returning from Oman for the coronavirus, revealed informed sources.
The passengers were stranded in Oman and only recently returned home.
Those showing symptoms of the virus will be quarantined at the Abbassia Fever Hospital.
Egypt has registered 536 virus cases and 30 deaths. Oman has reported 152.
Neighboring Sudan reported two more cases, raising the count to five and one death.
The latest cases were detected in Sudanese nationals, who had returned home from abroad. They have been quarantined.
Cases in western Libya
Two new cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Libya, authorities said on Saturday, after the first was detected earlier this week, with international aid agencies warning of a disaster if it spreads.
The two cases were discovered in Tripoli and Misrata, the National Center for Disease Control said, without giving any further details. The first, confirmed on Monday, was a man who had recently returned to Libya from overseas.
The Libyan National Army (LNA) and Tripoli-based Government of National Accord have been pitted in battle since the military launched in April 2019 an offensive to capture the capital and cleanse it of militias loyal to the GNA. A recent UN-brokered ceasefire has been violated several times by the militias, prompting retaliation by the LNA.
The World Health Organization and other agencies have warned that the fighting will make it far harder to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in Libya, and the United Nations has called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.
In Friday's battles, focused in the southern suburbs of Tripoli and in the area between the coastal cities of Misrata and Sirte, dozens of fighters were reported killed on both sides.