Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Alex Mitchell

Palestinian-Australian author to headline writers' fest

Sydney Writers' Festival has confirmed Randa Abdel Fattah will feature in its 2026 program. (Flavio Brancaleone/AAP PHOTOS)

Palestinian-Australian author Randa Abdel-Fattah will headline Australia's largest writers' festival after her removal from another literary event sparked a national furore.

Sydney Writers' Festival has confirmed the high-profile academic will feature in its 2026 program, inviting attendees to make up their own mind about her writing.

Dr Abdel-Fattah was booted from the line-up at Adelaide Writers' Week earlier in 2026, sparking a mass boycott by speakers and authors, and culminating in the event's cancellation.

ADELAIDE WRITERS WEEK PORTRAIT
Political ideologies cannot use cultural safety as a shield from criticism, Dr Abdel Fattah says. (Flavio Brancaleone/AAP PHOTOS)

The author was removed from the event after advocating against the cultural safety of Zionists, although the board has since apologised and invited her back for the 2027 edition.

A statement from Sydney Writers' Festival CEO Brooke Webb and artistic director Ann Mossop backed in Dr Abdel-Fattah, adding "without writers, there is no festival".

"A festival like ours, which holds freedom of expression as a core value, is not in the business of cancelling or censoring writers," the statement read.

"A writers' festival provides a rare and welcome opportunity for readers and writers to come together for nuanced conversations about complex and sometimes difficult topics ... readers can make up their own minds about what they would like to attend."

In a post on social media announcing her appearance at the festival, Dr Abdel-Fattah said: "In the midst of suffocating repression and racism, celebrate the wins. May we all remain undisciplined."

The organisers' decision to include her defied comments by NSW Premier Chris Minns, who had questioned Dr Abdel-Fattah's inclusion in another festival at Newcastle.

"We respect public figures and members of the community may hold different views … they are entitled to do so," the Sydney Writers' Festival statement read.

Dr Abdel-Fattah had defended her comments in the wake of the Adelaide cancellation, denying she had ever said Jewish people are not entitled to cultural safety.

"But political ideologies cannot use cultural safety as a shield from criticism," she told ABC Radio in January.

"I'm really fed up with the way my words are being deliberately and maliciously and mendaciously mischaracterised to paint me as an anti-Semite when I have never, ever expressed any anti-Semitism."

ADELAIDE WRITERS WEEK PORTRAIT
Dr Abdel-Fattah was booted from the line-up at Adelaide Writers' Week, sparking a mass boycott. (Flavio Brancaleone/AAP PHOTOS)

She had flagged a defamation case against South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas over comments comparing her to a terrorist sympathiser.

Sydney Writers' Festival will announce its full 2026 program on March 10.

The event will be held in May.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.