Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
Politics
ONLINE REPORTERS

Palang Pracharath offer in Prayut's hands

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha studies Palang Pracharath Party documents given to him by party leader Uttama Savanayana during a meeting at Government House on Friday. (Photo by Chanat Katanyu)

Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has finally received a formal invitation to stand as the Palang Pracharath prime ministerial candidate from the former ministers leading the pro-regime party.

Party leader Uttama Savanayana led the Palang Pracharath co-founders to meet with the prime minister at Government House on Friday afternoon. They gave him a copy of the party platform and documents outlining why they wanted him to be the party’s standard-bearer in the March 24 election.

Gen Prayut said he needed time to make a decision. All parties must finalise their prime ministerial candidates — each one can name up to three people — by Feb 8.

Palang Pracharath has already named Mr Uttama and Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak as its other two prime ministerial picks.

Mr Uttama, a former industry minister, said after the meeting that the party hoped for a positive reply from the man who has been heading the non-elected government for the past four years and nine months.

Gen Prayut said earlier on Friday that he had no plans to step down if he takes an offer from a political party to be its candidate. He did not spell out the name of the party but so far only Palang Pracharath has offered him the slot.

Formed last year and bolstered by the defections of numerous seasoned politicians from other parties, Palang Pracharath is widely viewed as the vehicle for perpetuating the rule of the current regime as an elected government. Its key figures have denied any such motivation.

Also attending the talks with Gen Prayut on Friday were former science and technology minister Suvit Maesincee, former PM’s office minister Kobsak Pootrakool and former commerce minister Sontirat Sontijirawong. They recently resigned from the cabinet along with Mr Uttama as pressure mounted on them to avoid having conflicts of interest.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.