Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Palace covet attacking cover after Sako injury

Soccer Football - Premier League - West Ham United vs Crystal Palace - London Stadium, London, Britain - January 30, 2018 Crystal Palace's Bakary Sako reacts after a foul by West Ham United's Pablo Zabaleta REUTERS/David Klein

(Reuters) - Crystal Palace will look to sign an attacking player before the transfer window closes later on Wednesday after midfielder Bakary Sako picked up an injury in their 1-1 draw at West Ham United, manager Roy Hodgson said.

Sako is facing an extended spell on the sidelines after limping off with an ankle injury before halftime on Tuesday and Hodgson revealed that the Malian international's chances of a quick recovery appeared unlikely.

"My medical staff... don't think it's very good at all," the former England manager said. "We don't really have the luxury of losing a forward player because we are so short in that area.

"It makes it a little bit more imperative that we bring some players in because otherwise we'll have a very thin squad, especially in the forward areas."

Hodgson has signed two players so far, with centre back Jaroslaw Jach joining on a three-year deal and Sweden under-21 midfielder Erdal Rakip coming in on loan from Benfica until the end of the season.

(Writing by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by John O'Brien)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.