Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National
Emily Pennink

Pair jailed for life for horrifying drive-by shooting of mother at wake

Undated handout photo issued by the Metropolitan Police of 44-year-old Michelle Sadio. Mother-of-two Michelle was gunned down outside a wake at the River of Life Pentecostal Church in Willesden, north London, on December 14 2024. Following an Old Bailey trial, Perry Allen-Thomas, 27, and Amir Salem, 20, were found guilty of murder and two counts of attempted murder. Issue date: Wednesday May 20, 2026. - (PA Media)

Two men have been jailed for life for murdering an innocent woman in a drive-by shooting at a wake and injuring two more people.

Mother-of-two Michelle Sadio, 44, was gunned down outside the River of Life Pentecostal Church in Willesden, north London, on December 14 2024.

Following an Old Bailey trial, aspiring footballer and drug dealer Perry Allen-Thomas, 27, and Amir Salem, 20, were found guilty of murder and two counts of attempted murder.

Jailing them for life on Wednesday, Mrs Justice McGowan handed Allen-Thomas a minimum term of 38 years and told Salem he would have to serve at least 26 years.

Perry Allen-Thomas, 27, who was found guilty at the Old Bailey of murder and two counts of attempted murder (Met Police/PA) (PA Media)
Perry Allen-Thomas, 27, who was found guilty at the Old Bailey of murder and two counts of attempted murder (Met Police/PA) (PA Media)

She said: “The wake was to commemorate the life of Diane Boateng, a lady who had died in in her 80s the week before.

“It was a happy, family-oriented occasion to which lots of people had brought their children. It turned into a terrifying tragedy.

“Everyone present was terrified and, as word spread, the local community and the entire population of London was horrified by the senseless violence.

“The idea that people cannot attend their church in safety causes fear and despair in many parts of the city.”

The location for the shooting had been “considered and chosen”, and it did not matter to the killers that families and children were there.

“However, this was not a shooting that was aimed at or intended to kill children. The murderers simply did not care who was injured or killed,” she added.

In a victim impact statement read to the court, widower Jean-Marie Sadio, whom Mrs Sadio worked with at the same law firm, said he had chosen to forgive her killers.

He said: “The ones who were behind what happened that night can never know what they have done. I have forgiven them because the future has to be my focus for the sake of my children.

Amir Salem, 20, was found guilty of murder and two counts of attempted murder (Metropolitan Police/PA) (PA Media)
Amir Salem, 20, was found guilty of murder and two counts of attempted murder (Metropolitan Police/PA) (PA Media)

“I cannot have our son and daughter growing up with hatred in their hearts and bitterness for something they don’t have any power to fix.”

Addressing the defendants in the dock, he said: “Today, you stand guilty before all but, most importantly, you stand forgiven.

“Do not burden yourself with guilt but an unquenchable and determined desire to change. If you succeed in this, you would have repaid society.”

Mr Sadio said it was too late for his family but not too late for the defendants, saying: “Amir and Perry, please use time to reflect, choose wisely and become – become the dream your parents and loved ones always longed for you to be. Their pain must also be unspeakable.”

Previously, the court heard how Ms Sadio had been among about 100 mourners, including children as young as five, attending the wake for Dianne Boatong, 80.

At about 9pm, guests were outside on the pavement when a black Kia pulled up and shots were fired into the crowd.

Ms Sadio, a legal administrator, was hit and died at the scene.

Transport for London contractor Kenneth Amoah, 39, was hit in the back and paralysed below the waist, and self-employed Kadeem Francis, 32, was shot in the foot.

The black Kia Niro which was being driven by the suspects who then fired a number of shots, killing Michelle Sadio (Metropolitan Police/PA) (PA Media)
The black Kia Niro which was being driven by the suspects who then fired a number of shots, killing Michelle Sadio (Metropolitan Police/PA) (PA Media)

The intended target was said to have been a rapper called Trapstar Toxic, real name Adetokunbo Ajibola, 33, who was at the event.

Allen-Thomas, from Wembley, north London, who had a string of drugs convictions and gang associations, was said to have helped organise the shooting but ensured he was elsewhere at the time.

The Kia used in the attack had been stolen and was being driven with false number plates.

Salem, from Wembley, who was aged 18 at the time, had bought some of the petrol used to set the vehicle on fire after the shooting, jurors heard.

On the night of the shooting, Salem was in contact with the Kia occupants and reported back to Allen-Thomas, jurors were told.

At least four shots were fired, although it was not known who in the Kia pulled the trigger.

The prosecution had alleged two of the men in the Kia had fled the country after the incident.

The weapon used in the shooting had been used twice before in the previous few months, and was said to be a “gang gun”.

The burned-out Kia car used in the shooting (Met Police/PA) (PA Media)
The burned-out Kia car used in the shooting (Met Police/PA) (PA Media)

In one of the earlier incidents, the occupant of a car opened fire on a group of males outside a pizzeria, discharging 11 rounds and hitting one person in the ankle.

There was no suggestion the defendants were involved.

During the trial, the defendants denied being involved in any way or knowing anything about the incident.

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Clarke, from Scotland Yard, said: “Our thoughts remain with Michelle’s loved ones.

“No result will ever be enough, but it is my hope that today’s sentence offers them some measure of comfort.

“Michelle’s death was a senseless tragedy, resulting from ongoing gang tensions in the local area.

“Today’s outcome illustrates that the Met is committed to ensuring those who commit acts of brazen violence, impacting innocent people and untold numbers of families, are held to account.

“The Met is committed to tackling serious violence, with officers across London disrupting gangs who tear families like Michelle’s apart. This comes as part of our drive to target dangerous offenders and make communities safer.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.