Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Rebecca Opie

Paedophile's release to depend on fast-tracked psychiatric report

Notorious paedophile Colin Humphrys's latest bid for release has been postponed after South Australia's Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) fast-tracked a psychiatric report needed to challenge his argument.

In March, the Supreme Court granted Humphrys supervised release to live in the Bowden-Brompton area in Adelaide's inner north-west.

But that was blocked after the State Government introduced new legislation preventing the release of dangerous sex offenders, following a public backlash.

Last week, prosecutors said they needed another six months to obtain a second psychiatric report that would help determine whether Humphrys would continue to remain behind bars.

Today, the 66-year-old's defence lawyer Edward Jolly was expected to argue he should be released because prosecutors were taking too long to compile their case against him.

However, DPP Adam Kimber told the court a crucial psychiatric report would be ready by March 11 instead of in six months.

The case has now been adjourned until March 13.

Humphrys has an extensive history of sexual offending against children, including the abduction and abuse of a boy in the early 1990s.

In 2009, he was jailed indefinitely for five counts of unlawful sexual intercourse against a 14-year-old boy in a Port Adelaide toilet block in 2003.

In 2016, a psychiatrist told the Supreme Court that Humphrys was unwilling to control his sexual urges and posed a high risk of reoffending.

Both the State Government and the Labor Party introduced legislation to change prison release laws after the Supreme Court granted Humphrys release into the Bowden-Brompton area.

Local residents last week repeated concerns about Humphrys moving into the area, after commercial radio station FiveAA breached the suppression order and broadcast the name of Humphry's possible new address.

The case has prompted a fresh debate about a paedophile register.

The Government and the Opposition said it was something worth considering.

In a statement, Attorney-General Vickie Chapman said the Government was "resolute in doing all it can" to keep Humphrys and "other sex offenders like him" behind bars.

"I appreciate the chief psychiatrist and my department working together in this matter to expedite the second psychiatric report," she said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.