Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Tony Plohetski and Roberto Villalpando

Package believed to be bound for Austin explodes at FedEx facility near San Antonio

AUSTIN, Texas _ A package destined for Austin exploded at a FedEx ground delivery facility in Schertz, Texas, northeast of San Antonio, according to federal authorities.

A federal official said that based on preliminary reports, the package was addressed from Austin to a recipient in Austin.

That official declined to be identified because they are not authorized to speak.

"We are investigating it as being possibly related to our open investigation," FBI spokeswoman Michelle Lee said. "We can't know for sure until we have an opportunity to look at the evidence itself."

Interim Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said his department "is aware of the incident that has occurred in Schertz, Texas and is working closely on the investigation with our federal partners, Federal Bureau of Investigation and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives."

According to San Antonio media reports, the package detonated around 12:25 a.m. as it traveled on a conveyor belt in the Schertz facility on Doerr Lane, where about 75 employees were working at the time.

Sources told KSAT-TV and Fox San Antonio that the package blasted out metal shrapnel and nails when it exploded.

One person was hurt from the concussive force of the detonation, KENS-TV reported.

News of an Austin-bound package bomb in Schertz comes two days after two men walking on a Southwest Austin street were injured in an explosion from the fourth bomb that has detonated in the city so far this month.

That bomb appeared to involve an elaborate device that relied on a trip wire. Police have described the devices used in the previous three explosions as "boxlike" bombs triggered by movement that were left on the doorsteps of homes.

The first Austin bombing on March 2 killed Anthony Stephan House, 39, the father of an 8-year-old girl. Police initially thought the Northeast Austin bombing was an isolated event but investigators' focus and theories changed when the second and third bombings occurred 10 days later.

An explosion at a home on Oldfort Hill Drive in East Austin killed Draylen Mason, a 17-year-old senior at East Austin College Prep, and injured his mother. Within hours of that March 12 blast, another explosion in Southeast Austin injured Esperanza Herrera, 75.

Manley on Tuesday reiterated his public warning about the bomb danger:

"I want to continue to remind our community to pay close attention to any suspicious device whether it be a package, a bag, a backpack or anything that looks out of place, do not approach it," the chief said. "Call 911 immediately. Also remember do not move, touch or open unexpected/suspicious packages."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.