Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Birmingham Post
Birmingham Post
Business
Sophie Corcoran & David Laister

P&O scraps cruises until August in Covid-19 response

P&O has announced it will not resume cruise operations until July 31 at the earliest, as the coronavirus lockdown continues.

The company had already paused its leisure operations, focusing on freight, essential work and repatriation, but have now extended that period in line with the Government guidelines to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said: “With the current lockdown in place and government guidelines around the world advising against travel it is necessary to extend the pause in our operations for all sailings up to and including July 31, 2020.

“We are so sorry not to be able to give our guests amazing holidays at the moment, but we will do as soon as global guidelines will allow.

“Unfortunately, these dates also include the much anticipated Ionafest and we are looking to re-schedule that as soon as possible.

“In the meantime, pending more clarity on the longer term impact of Covid-19 and timing on the world’s return to normality, we are considering the evolving advice as well as potential restrictions in ports of call as we look at how and when we phase our ships back into service.”

The company said it will be looking to add in more stringent, but protective, measures when they are allowed to set sail again, with Southampton and Hull a focus for departures.

Mr Ludlow added: “We are working hard to make sure that a holiday with P&O Cruises adheres to relevant measures and guidelines to protect everyone on board without compromising our guests’ enjoyment and experience.

“These new stringent measures will be in place as soon as we reintroduce our ships and we will all get used to them in the same way as we got used to airline hand luggage restrictions.

“They will become the new normal and they will give our guests and crew reassurance and peace of mind.”

Any guests with a holiday booked with P&O Cruises up to and including July 31 this year will receive a 125 per cent Future Cruise Credit (FCC) voucher that can be used for any sailing up to the end of March 2022.

Bookings for these must be made before the end of December next year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.