Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Washington, Khartoum - Asharq Al-Awsat

Osama Bin Laden’s Suspected Bodyguard Dies

Ibrahim Idris being escorted from Guantanamo Bay in December 2013. (The New York Times)

A suspected bodyguard of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden has died.

Ibrahim Othman Ibrahim Idris, 60, died on Wednesday in Port Sudan.

He was taken to the prison at Guantánamo Bay in Cuba on the day it opened as a suspected bodyguard of bin Laden and was then released by the Obama administration as too impaired to pose a threat to the US.

Christopher Curran, a lawyer who represents Sudanese interests in Washington, said he succumbed “to medical complications he had from Guantánamo.”

The New York Times revealed that the exact cause was not immediately known, but Idris had been a sickly shut-in at his mother’s home in his native country, in Port Sudan, according to another former Sudanese prisoner, Sami al-Haj, who asserted that Idris had been tortured at Guantanamo, at the US naval base there.

Idris was captured in Pakistan fleeing the Battle of Tora Bora in December 2001, three months after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

He was initially thought to be part of bin Laden’s security detail, according to a leaked US military intelligence profile from 2008. He was never charged with a crime, and he denied the allegation.

He was among 20 prisoners taken to Guantánamo on Jan. 11, 2002, the day the Pentagon opened its crude, open-air prison called Camp X-Ray as a detention and interrogation compound for “enemy combatants”.

A widely viewed Navy photograph from that day shows the men on their knees in orange jumpsuits, shackled at the wrists and blindfolded inside a barbed-wire pen.

Military medical records showed that Idris spent long stretches in the prison’s “behavioral health unit”, where an Army psychiatrist concluded that he had schizophrenia. He also developed diabetes and high blood pressure at the prison.

He was repatriated on Dec. 18, 2013, in a rare instance of the government’s choosing not to oppose a petition in federal court for the release of a Guantánamo prisoner.

His habeas corpus petition invoked domestic and international law, noting that “if a detainee is so ill that he cannot return to the battlefield, he should be repatriated.”

His lawyers described Idris as too sick to become a threat to anyone, and the US did not challenge that assertion.

“Given how ill he was, it was clear that at home with his family was where he would receive the best care,” Ian C. Moss, a former State Department diplomat who arranged for Idris’s transfer, said on Wednesday.

At the time, Sudan was still on the State Sponsor of Terrorism list. But because a federal court ordered his release, he could be returned.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.