Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Belfast Live
Belfast Live
National
Nadia Breen

Ormeau Road incident sees car 'deliberately set alight'

A car was 'deliberately set alight' in South Belfast during the early hours of Monday morning.

A report was made of a car burning on the Ormeau Road at around 2.15am on October 25, at Haypark Avenue.

PSNI Inspector Dawson added: “Three young males were seen running from the location.

“Our colleagues from the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended and the fire was extinguished. There was extensive damage caused to the vehicle.

“We are appealing for anyone with information or dashcam footage, who may have witnesses this incident, to contact police on 101 quoting reference number 156 25/10/21.”

A report can be made using the online reporting form via www.psni.police.uk/makeareport. Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

A NIFRS spokesperson said: "Firefighters attended the scene of a vehicle on fire on the Ormeau Road earlier this morning. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire. The cause of the thought to be deliberate. The incident was dealt with by 2.37am."

Shortly after 4am on Monday morning, Trafficwatch NI said: "A vehicle was set on fire on the #Ormeau Rd with the Jct of #Haypark Ave. @NIFRSOFFICAL have attended and the fire is now out. The #Ormeau Road remains open.

"Extra care needed until a crew can attend to clean and treat carriageway."

Police are appealing for witnesses (Sarah McKee)

Meanwhile, detectives are appealing for information following a robbery at a shop in the Ormeau Road area on Sunday, October 24.

Detective Sergeant Keith Wilson said: “Shortly before 10pm, two males armed with scissors and a razor, entered the premises and threatened staff and customers who were in the shop at the time.

“The pair stole a sum of money from the till along with a large quantity of cigarettes before making of on foot.

“It is believed that there was possibly a third male with them who did not enter the shop.

“Anyone who may have witnessed this incident or who may have any information in relation to those involved, is asked to contact detectives on 101 quoting reference 1873 of 24/10/21.”

To get the latest breaking news straight to your inbox, sign up to our free newsletter.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.