Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Orient v Walsall called off due to COVID-19 cases

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Carabao Cup First Round - Derby County v Barrow AFC - Pride Park Stadium, Derby, Britain - September 5, 2020 English Football League match ball Action Images/Carl Recine

The English Football League (EFL) has confirmed Saturday's League Two fixture between Leyton Orient and Walsall has been postponed due to a number of COVID-19 cases in the Orient squad.

Orient had said on Monday some of their players had tested positive and that their Breyer Group Stadium and training ground facilities would be closed until further notice.

Their League Cup third-round tie against Tottenham Hotspur was postponed earlier this week.

"Due to the number of positive cases of COVID-19 within the Orient squad ... the club has advised the EFL it considers it is unable to safely fulfil this weekend's fixture," the EFL said in a statement.

"The circumstances surrounding the postponement will now be the subject of investigation in accordance with EFL regulations."

The EFL said it would announce the revised date for the rearranged fixture in due course.

(Reporting by Arvind Sriram in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.