Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Health
Stephanie Nebehay

One in four Ebola cases undetected in Congo: WHO

FILE PHOTO: A health worker wearing Ebola protection gear, leaves the dressing room before entering the Biosecure Emergency Care Unit (CUBE) at the ALIMA (The Alliance for International Medical Action) Ebola treatment centre in Beni, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 30, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner/File Photo

GENEVA (Reuters) - Roughly a quarter of Ebola infections in eastern Congo are estimated to be going undetected or found too late, a World Health Organization (WHO) expert said on Thursday.

But the WHO, in a weekly update issued subsequently, said there were "early signs" of an easing of the intensity with which the virus is spreading following weeks of insecurity that curbed access to communities and interrupted vaccination.

FILE PHOTO: A Congolese man holds a cross during the burial service of Congolese woman Kahambu Tulirwaho who died of Ebola, at a cemetery in Butembo, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 28, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner/File Photo

Some 2,025 cases and 1,357 deaths have been recorded since the epidemic began in August in the Democratic Republic of Congo's North Kivu and Ituri provinces, said Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Programme.

It is the second-worst outbreak of the virus on record.

Some 88 infections have been detected each of the last two weeks, down from a peak of 126 weekly in April, and WHO teams are checking 15,000 suspected contacts each day for symptoms, he added.

FILE PHOTO: A suspected Ebola patient stands behind a plastic screen at an Ebola treatment centre in Butembo, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 28, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner/File Photo

"We believe, let me be very cautious here, we believe we are probably detecting in excess of 75% of cases - we may be missing up to a quarter of cases," Ryan told a news briefing in Geneva.

"We must get earlier detection of cases, have more exhaustive identification of contacts," he said.

About 90% of people potentially exposed to the virus have agreed to be vaccinated, which has proved efficient, he said. "It's not them that matter now, it's the 10% that don't, because all of our cases are coming from that group."

More than 130,000 people have been vaccinated to date, Congolese figures show.

The epidemic is "not out of control, but it is certainly not under control," he said.

It was spreading fast in the rural area of Mabalako and at a lesser rate in the city of Butembo.

A third of identified cases are people who died without having being admitted to Ebola treatment centers, the WHO update said.

Ryan said risks to aid workers had decreased of late but noted a deadly attack on civilians earlier this week.

A local official said 13 civilians were killed late on Monday in an attack by the Allied Democratic Forces - a group thought to be linked to Islamic State.

Greater political engagement is needed to combat the Ebola outbreak, Ryan said. "We need the government to reach out to the opposition, we need an 'all party' approach ... we need a single voice of leaders in Congo about this outbreak."

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne, Frances Kerry and Tom Brown)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.