Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu

On hunger strike in Tihar jail, Yasin Malik put on IV fluids

Kashmiri separatist leader Yasin Malik, who is on a hunger strike in Tihar Jail here for five days, is being given intravenous fluids and his health is being regularly monitored by doctors, officials said on Tuesday.

Malik (56), the head of the banned Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), began his indefinite hunger strike on Friday morning after the Centre did not respond to his plea that he be allowed to physically appear in a Jammu court hearing the Rubaiya Sayeed abduction case, in which he is an accused.

ALSO READ: JKLF chief Yasin Malik’s hunger strike his last bid to change legal course in IAF killings, Rubaiya kidnapping cases

Malik, who was kept in solitary confinement in a high-risk cell in Tihar's jail number 7, has been shifted to the prison's Medical Investigation (MI) room where doctors are constantly monitoring his health status and updating officials about the same.

The JKLF chief is serving a life sentence in a terror-funding case.

"On Friday morning, Malik refused to eat anything. He is still on a hunger strike and his health is being regularly monitored by doctors. He is being given IV (intravenous) fluids since Sunday," an official said.

Plea to physically appear in Rubaiya case

Appearing before a special CBI judge through a video-conference, Malik had said he wanted to physically appear in the case related to the abduction of Rubaiya Sayeed, the daughter of then Union home minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed, in 1989.

Malik had informed the court that he had written a letter to the government seeking his transfer to a Jammu jail so that he could physically appear in the case and contest the allegations against him.

He had said he would like to personally cross-examine the prosecution witnesses and would wait for a government nod till July 22. He had also said he would sit on an indefinite hunger strike inside the jail if his plea was not allowed.

No information from Centre

Malik began his protest when he received no information from the government on his plea to shift him to any prison in Jammu.

Rubaiya Sayeed was allegedly abducted by the JKLF on December 8, 1989. She was freed from captivity five days later after the then V. P. Singh government at the Centre, supported by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), released five JKLF terrorists in exchange.

The JKLF chief was arrested in early 2019 in connection with a 2017 terror-funding case registered by the National Investigation Agency. Malik had pleaded guilty in the case and was sentenced by a special NIA court in Delhi in May.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.