
Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner says a lack of backing in the transfer window has led to the club’s struggles juggling Premier League and Conference League commitments.
Glasner says he wanted to sign more players in the summer, as he blamed his squad's lack of depth for their 2-1 loss to Manchester United on Sunday.
Palace’s lack of squad depth was highlighted not for the first time this season as United came from behind to inflict a first home defeat in the Premier League this term.
The Eagles have now picked up just one point from the four league games played after midweek European games.
Palace had started the stronger of the two teams and took a deserved lead in the 36th minute as Jean-Philippe Mateta dispatched his penalty at the second time of asking.
But Ismaila Sarr was then forced off with an injury in the first half, and there were no answers to United’s fightback after the break, as goals from Joshua Zirkzee and Mason Mount turned the game on its head.
Palace made just five first-team signings over the summer, bringing in attackers Christantus Uche and Yeremy Pino late into the window.
We knew the schedule, we knew that Ismaila would go to the AFCON. Nothing happened, surprisingly
Asked whether his side’s lack of depth had contributed to Palace’s failure to respond to United’s goals, Glasner acknowledged it was an issue and said he wanted to protect his players from criticism.
“[It’s] the issue and I never talked about it, to be honest, but today it feels like it's time because I want to protect the players,” Glasner said.
“Yes, the energy level was not that high at the end, they looked a little bit fatigued, and I want to protect them because I know how hard they are working every single day and giving everything.
“It was our 22nd game and it was [United’s] 14th game [of the season]. I could see that they were physically better. We got mentally a little bit fatigued, and that's what we are definitely facing.
“And again, I think it's also now time to mention it, that's clearly our fault. We missed [the chance] to strengthen the depth of the squad in summer and we knew the schedule, we knew that Ismaila would go to the AFCON. Nothing happened, surprisingly.
“When you play European football for the first time in your history, let's invest instead of save. We saved and that's what we are facing.
“But these players, this group of players, giving everything, so no blame for the players because they are leaving their heart on the pitch.”

Glasner has previously criticised the speed at which Palace conducted their business as they tried to replace Eberechi Eze during the closing stages of the window, and he said that he had expected to be backed more in the summer after guiding Palace to the FA Cup last season.
“We all would have wished a little bit more backing, yes,” Glasner continued, adding that if Palace were going to be successful this season, they could not afford to be patient in the January market.
“Sorry to disappoint you. Patience is not something for me, you know, we want to succeed, and we want to win games in every competition.
“It's easy, we could say now when we play Arsenal in the EFL Cup, not an important game for everybody, for the club, nothing to win, but I don't want this, I don't like this attitude.
“So for us, it's compete every single game, and the club has to get the resources to get this done because this is the progress, and if we don't want progress, OK, let's stop playing.
“So, we knew this schedule will come, and these players, this group of players is prepared, and we will go through it.
“But there is nothing to be patient. It's just for us to keep the head up, to stay positive in the way what we are doing. Maybe again, I'm always thinking, what can I change first? And so it's my responsibility to find the right answers for the schedule.
“I think in January, you just correct what you missed in the summer, to be honest. We have played 34 games, I think, until the 10th of January. That's about 60, 65 percent of the season. So again, let's see.”