Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Ben Husband

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's staggering Man Utd severance package after being sacked

Manchester United will pay out a whopping £7.5million to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, after sacking the under-fire manager.

Solskjaer appeared resigned to his fate following yet another sorry display which saw Watford run them ragged on the way to a 4-1 win.

That result means United have picked up just four points from a possible 21, with the Norwegian binned on Sunday morning.

Old Trafford bosses conducted an emergency board meeting in the wake of the no show at Vicarage Road, with the decision that Solskjaer be relieved of his duties.

Compensation terms for Solskjaer were right at the top of the agenda, pointing to the fact that a decision had already been made.

HAVE YOUR SAY! Is Solskjaer's position at Man Utd now untenable? Let us know in the comments section

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is on the brink of the sack, according to various reports (REUTERS)

United had stuck with their former player despite a wretched run of results, just months after he was handed a new long-term contract.

Solskjaer guided the Red Devils to a second-placed finish in the Premier League last season, as well as reaching the Europa League final.

The arrivals of Jadon Sancho, Cristiano Ronaldo and Raphael Varane came with the expectation that a serious title challenge would quickly follow.

But with United already 12 points off league leaders Chelsea, his position became untenable, amid rumours of a disgruntled and divided dressing room.

The Sun report that if Solskjaer will be given a full year’s salary as a severance package by the club.

That works at more than £7m, the fifth highest of all managers in the Premier League.

Solskjaer cut a resigned figure at the full-time whistle, offering an apology to the stunned section of away supporters.

More reaction: David de Gea lets rip at "embarrassing" Man Utd teammates after Watford humiliation

And asked where the club can go after the horror show at Vicarage Road, Solskjaer said that any discussions would remain behind the scenes.

“It’s a big challenge for everyone at the club, so that’s the big question. But that’s not for here and now,” he told Sky Sports.

“I’m working for and with the club - I’ve been here for 18 years - we’ve got good communication and if the club are thinking about doing something, it’s a conversation between us and them.

Man Utd player ratings: Did anyone come out of the Watford thrashing with any credit?

“The results are not good enough, we know that. We’ve gone 30 games unbeaten away from home and now we lose two on the bounce, conceding four in both of them. So something is definitely wrong.”

United take on Villarreal in the Champions League in midweek with Michael Carrick taking interim charge.

Zinedine Zidane is believed to be the early frontrunner to replace Solskjaer, although he has some reservations about taking a job in the middle of a season.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.