
An increase in violence in western Sudan has been recently reported, including a sub-national conflict in Darfur and Kordofan since October, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
Over 83,000 people have been displaced due to inter-communal conflict in Central, North and West Darfur and thousands have been displaced in Kordofan since October 2021, according to OCHA.
Most of the affected people are yet to receive humanitarian assistance mostly due to ongoing conflict or insecurity.
Meanwhile, the General Coordination of the Displaced and Refugee Camps said that the Janjaweed assassinated Wednesday Ezzedine Adam, 20, arrested two others and attacked four refugees including a woman.
A new wave of attacks on civilians in Darfur since mid-November 2021 highlights the urgent need for the United Nations to enhance its scrutiny of the restive region of Sudan, Human Rights Watch said.
A year after the withdrawal of the United Nations/African Union Hybrid Mission in Darfur (UNAMID), violence between armed groups, in some cases implicating state security forces, has been on the rise, with a devastating impact on civilians.
The UN should deploy a robust human rights monitoring presence to the area, including expertise in gender-based crimes.
“The resurgence of violence in Darfur over the last year has left a trail of devastation, with scores killed and injured, massive displacement, and thousands of homes destroyed,” said Mohamed Osman, Sudan researcher at Human Rights Watch.
“International monitors need to refocus their attention on Darfur.”