Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Margaret Scheikowski

Obeids and Macdonald guilty of conspiracy

Former NSW Labor powerbroker Eddie Obeid has been found guilty of conspiracy.

Former NSW Labor ministers Ian Macdonald and Eddie Obeid, and his son Moses Obeid, have been found guilty of a corruption plot related to a coal exploration licence.

The former Labor powerbroker, 77, his son, 52, and Macdonald, 72, pleaded not guilty to conspiring for Macdonald to engage in misconduct as a minister between 2007 and 2009.

The alleged misconduct related to his actions in establishing and granting a coal exploration licence over the Obeids' family property at Mount Penny, in the Bylong Valley near Mudgee, for the family's financial benefit.

The conspiracy was said to have led to a $30 million windfall for the family.

After a marathon judge-alone trial in the NSW Supreme Court, Justice Elizabeth Fullerton on Monday found the trio guilty of the charge.

The three accused and, at times, more than 450 other people watched online as the judge delivered her verdicts and a summary of her judgment.

The Crown had contended Macdonald committed eight acts of misconduct in public office, breaching his confidentiality and impartiality duties.

The judge found five of the eight acts had been established.

"I was ultimately satisfied that all five acts of misconduct were committed by Mr Macdonald in furtherance of the specific conspiracy alleged," she said.

Australian Associated Press

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.