Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Health
Ben McKay

NZ records 12 new COVID-19 cases

More than 40 per cent of eligible Kiwis are fully vaccinated, 75 per cent have received one dose. (AAP)

Health officials have reported 12 new community cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand.

Monday's new cases were all in Auckland, and promisingly, were all previously isolating at home or within a quarantine facility.

Cases remain stubbornly present in New Zealand's biggest city despite a long lockdown.

Monday is day 41 of lockdown for the 1.7 million residents in the Auckland region, with daily case numbers hovering between nine and 33 for the past three weeks.

With new infections ongoing, University of Otago epidemiologist Michael Baker said the government should consider further measures in its bid to eliminate the Delta outbreak.

"We are not really getting any better," he told Radio NZ.

Dr Baker said health teams should doorknock streets where the virus had been identified, for testing and vaccination.

"It's really down to that level of intensity of approach if we are really going to stamp out the virus in Auckland," he said.

The new cases bring the total in the current outbreak to 1177; 965 of whom have recovered from the virus.

One person, an Auckland woman in her 90s with pre-existing health conditions, has died during this outbreak.

There are 13 Kiwis currently being treated in hospital for COVID-19, including four in intensive care.

New Zealand also administered its five millionth vaccine dose on the weekend, amid a worrying decline in jab rates.

Jacinda Ardern's government hopes to vaccinate every consenting adult New Zealander this year, setting an unofficial 90 per cent target.

As of Monday, 42 per cent of eligible Kiwis (those aged 12 and over) are fully vaccinated, with 75 per cent having received at least one dose.

A drop-off in first doses given will give Ms Ardern serious cause for concern.

One month ago - as the outbreak took hold - health workers were administering more than 50,000 first doses each day.

That figure has now dropped below 25,000 for five days straight, showing a reduction in vaccine interest - and highlighting how hard it will be for Ms Ardern to achieve her desired take-up rates.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.