Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Health
Ben McKay

NZ backtracks on NSW flights for Kiwis

Kiwis in NSW have the option of waiting out the outbreak or returning and quarantining in a hotel. (AAP)

Thousands of Kiwis stranded in NSW due to the latest COVID-19 outbreak will not be able to come home as planned.

On Friday, just hours before the mercy flights were due to begin, the New Zealand government canned them, citing a heightened risk of transmission across the Tasman.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced 44 new cases on Friday, and a doubling of close contacts to 14,000.

COVID-19 Minister Chris Hipkins said non-compliance with lockdown rules, as noted by Ms Berejiklian.

"We've been following the situation in New South Wales very closely," COVID-19 Minster Chris Hipkins said.

"If the lockdown isn't working and the people haven't been following the rules ... then that does add additional risk for us here in New Zealand."

"We've made the decision today to hold off on the return flights that were due to start from 11:59pm tonight."

Jacinda Ardern's government announced its proposal to allow citizens and family members to fly home from Saturday earlier in the week.

The move was a similar rescue mission offered to Kiwis in Victoria last month after a similar outbreak.

Instead, Kiwis in NSW will now have the option of waiting out the outbreak, or coming home - and completing a fortnight in a quarantine hotel.

"We will be saying to people who don't have an urgent need to return home please hold back, so that those who do urgently need to return back to New Zealand can do so," Mr Hipkins said.

The government will waive quarantine fees for those Kiwis that chose to come home.

Kiwis stuck in Queensland will be able to access the 'green flights' home, as planned from tomorrow.

Mr Hipkins also said the sunshine state may be welcomed fully back into the bubble next week.

"Early next week we should be able to make a decision about resuming green flights from Queensland. The risk does seem to be quite well contained," he said.

Four jurisdictions - Victoria, Tasmania, SA and ACT - currently have quarantine-free flights into New Zealand as part of the trans-Tasman bubble.

From Saturday, WA and NT will also be welcomed back into the free travel arrangement.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.