Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Josh Marcus and Mike Bedigan

Nurse mom of Minnesota shooting victim was working in ICU when wounded daughter arrived

The mother of Sophia Forchas, one of the 15 children injured in Wednesday’s deadly shooting at a Minneapolis Catholic school, is a nurse in the pediatric intensive care unit who was working at the hospital the morning when her daughter and others began arriving for emergency treatment.

“Her mother, a Pediatric Critical Care nurse, arrived at work to help during the tragedy, before knowing it was her children’s school that was attacked, and that her daughter was critically injured,” according to a GoFundMe page that lists Forchas’ father Thomas as an organizer.

“Sophia was shot during the attack and is currently in critical condition in the ICU,” the page adds. “She has already undergone emergency surgery, and her medical team is doing everything they can to stabilize her. Her road ahead will be long, uncertain, and incredibly difficult — but she is strong, and she is not alone.”

The Independent has contacted the family for comment.

The hospital, Hennepin County Medical Center, told People magazine that Forchas’ mother is an employee in the pediatric ICU where the 12-year-old is in critical condition along with other shooting victims.

“I have spent a good portion of the day with Sophia’s family at Hennepin County Medical Center where Sophia went into surgery immediately as she was one of the shooting victims who had been critically injured,” Father Timothy Sas of St. Mary's Greek Orthodox Church in Minneapolis wrote on Facebook on Wednesday. “We prayed and comforted each other throughout the day.”

Sas described Forchas as a 7th grader who is “immersed in the life of the Church together with her extended family of several generations who are devoted members of our congregation.”

During the early-morning shooting, which took place as students of Annunciation Catholic School and local parishioners were in the middle of the first Mass of the school year, two children were shot and killed, while 18 others were injured overall.

Minneapolis shooting killed two children and injured 18 other people, in what FBI officials called an act of ‘domestic terrorism motivated by a hate-filled ideology’ (AP)

Sophia Forchas’ younger brother was inside the school during the shooting but was physically unharmed.

“The trauma of witnessing such a terrifying event — and knowing his sister was critically injured — is something no child should ever experience,” the GoFundMe page reads.

Suspect Robin Westman, formerly known as Robert, died of a self-inflicted gunshot as law enforcement arrived at the scene of the shooting. Westman’s mother previously donated to the school and worked as a secretary at Annunciation church before retiring in 2021.

Sophia Forchas’ younger brother was also present at the school when the shooting took place, but was physically unharmed (Michelle Erickson and Thomas Forchas / GoFundMe)

Authorities are still working to determine potential motives for the shooting.

On Thursday the two children to be killed in the horrific attack were identified by their parents.

The first, eight-year-old Fletcher Merkel, was named by his father. In an emotional statement, Jesse Merkel said his son loved his family, friends, fishing, cooking, and “any sports he was allowed to play.”

"Yesterday, a coward decided to take our 8-year-old son Fletcher away from us,” Merkel said. “Because of their actions, we will never be allowed to hold him, talk to him, play with him, and watch him grow into the wonderful young man he was on the path to becoming.

“While the hole in our lives will never be filled in hope that in time our family can find healing. I pray that the other victims' families can find some semblance of the same.

He added: ““Please remember Fletcher for the person he was and not the act that ended his life. Give your kids an extra hug and kiss today. We love you, Fletcher. You'll always be with us."

Shortly after, through a statement issued on behalf of her parents, 10-year-old Harper Moyski was named in a statement shared today on her parents’ behalf.

“Harper was a bright, joyful, and deeply loved 10-year-old whose laughter, kindness, and spirit touched everyone who knew her,” the statement from Michael Moyski and Jackie Flavin read. “Our hearts are broken not only as parents, but also for Harper’s sister, who adored her big sister and is grieving an unimaginable loss. As a family, we are shattered, and words cannot capture the depth of our pain.”

The statement added: “No family should ever have to endure this kind of pain. We urge our leaders and communities to take meaningful steps to address gun violence and the mental health crisis in this country.

“Change is possible, and it is necessary — so that Harper’s story does not become yet another in a long line of tragedies.”

Other victims

Eighth-grader Endre Gunter, is now recovering from surgery after being shot twice in the stomach, according to a GoFundMe page set up by his aunt.

According to his family, before being rushed into surgery, the 13-year-old asked a surgeon "Can you say a prayer with me?"

“The surgeon later told us that not only did Endre survive the surgery, he fought through a terrifying event with courage that inspired the entire medical team. That moment of prayer, and Endre's resilience, will stay with our family forever,” the page description read.

Gunter is recovering from surgery at the hospital, surrounded by loved ones and has the best medical team possible.

“While the road ahead is long, we are beyond grateful he is still with us. The emotional and physical healing ahead will take time and resources,” the family said, adding: “It's impossible to make sense of this act of violence against children, in a place that should have been a sanctuary of peace and safety.

“In the face of unimaginable fear and pain, Endre showed strength and faith beyond his years.”

Another GoFundMe, named an injured student as Victor, known by his family as “Vic.” Victor was described as “one of the brave victims who survived the tragedy that unfolded” on Wednesday.

“His selfless acts help to save many, but he and his sister were injured in the process. Vic, along with his family, have started the long journey of recovery,” the fundraiser set up by his uncle stated.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.