Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Health
Aaron Bunch

NT COVID reporting failure, 546 new cases

There is "no excuse" for the NT's failure to report COVID-19 exposure sites, Michael Gunner says. (AAP)

The Northern Territory has reported 546 new COVID-19 infections as the government makes an embarrassing confession over an exposure site reporting failure, saying it has "no excuse".

The new infections bring the territory's total active caseload to about 3300 with 27 - three more than the previous day - in hospital.

Twenty patients are considered acute or suffering serious symptoms and one is in intensive care in Royal Darwin Hospital.

About 75 per cent of infections are in the Darwin region, including Palmerston and the rural areas," Chief Minister Michael Gunner told reporters on Friday.

Another 15 per cent are in Alice Springs, five per cent are in Katherine, 320km south of Darwin, and four per cent are in East Arnhem Land. The rest are in other regional areas.

Mr Gunner admitted the territory's new COVID-19 exposure-site messaging system linked to the check-in app had not been operating as planned.

"Over the past week these messages have not been sent," he said. "There is no excuse for this."

Mr Gunner said instructions had been given to a government team to set up the new system by the NT's security and management committee.

"But it was not implemented, which is unacceptable," he said.

Young inmates are being sent to the Don Dale centre, due to infections at an Alice Springs facility. (AAP)

Mr Gunner said Territorians had a right to know if they had visited a location where a positive case had also visited.

"The messages are intended to inform someone if they have been to an exposure site and (need to) monitor for symptoms," he said.

The government employee responsible for overseeing the project has been stood down from the role.

Mr Gunner said the system had now been set up and messages would be sent from 3pm on Friday.

Meanwhile, an outbreak in Yuendumu and Yuelamu, about 295km northwest of Alice Springs, has grown to 43 cases.

"But it continues to be confined to a handful of households," Mr Gunner said.

A lockout of unvaccinated people will be extended until next Thursday.

Mr Gunner said Yuendumu's vaccination rate continued to rise with 78 per cent of residents 16 and over given one jab of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 58 per cent fully vaccinated.

"This is a solid jump over the last few days which is encouraging," he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.