Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
National
Angelo Risso

NT stolen generation sues government

Stolen generation survivors in the Northern Territory are suing the federal government. (AAP)

Stolen generation survivors in the Northern Territory are suing the federal government for their forcible removal from family over more than 60 years.

Shine Lawyers on Wednesday said in a statement it would take on the case, with up to 6000 Indigenous Australians eligible to join the class action which had been filed in the NSW Supreme Court.

Special counsel Tristan Gaven, who will legally represent the group, said most states had taken steps to compensate stolen generation survivors but no such action had occurred in NT.

Compensation will be sought for the forced removal of Indigenous Australians from their families between 1910 and the 1970s.

"It's impossible to improve the future without acknowledging the past," Mr Gaven said.

"The Commonwealth was responsible for tearing apart Indigenous families in the Territory and it's up to the Commonwealth to make amends."

Litigation Lending Services, who are financing the class action, said the injustice of the NT stolen generations has yet to be resolved.

LLS director Warren Mundine said in a statement: "If this was to happen today, there would be serious public global outrage and criminal charges laid on all involved for these barbaric acts."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.