
The NRL has imposed a three-game ban and a $50,000 fine on Brisbane forward Payne Haas following his clash with NSW police last month.
The NSW and Australian representative avoided a conviction and was placed on a two-year good behaviour bond after pleading guilty to charges of intimidating police and offensive language in Tweed Heads Local Court on Thursday.
Haas later issued a public apology for his abusive rant at two police officers after being asked for his ID late on the night of January 16 in the northern NSW town.
The 21-year-old said he was committed to learning from the incident and would be a "better person" in the future.
On Monday, the NRL issued Haas with a breach notice following an integrity unit investigation into the incident proposing the fine and ban.
The financial penalty is the highest fine allowed for a player and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said it showed what a dim view the organisation took of Haas's actions.
"Payne's conduct was unacceptable," Abdo said.
"There are no excuses for any form of abuse towards our police force.
"Any player who intimidates police will be dealt with severely."
As well as his fine and suspension, Haas will have to complete an appropriate education program and community service as directed by the NRL.
The suspension means Haas will miss Brisbane's season opener against Parramatta on March 12 as well as the following matches against Gold Coast and Canterbury.
It is not the first time the forward has been in hot water with the integrity unit.
He was fined $20,000 and suspended for the opening four rounds of the 2019 season for failing to comply with an investigation over a matter involving members of his family.