Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
Sport
Leigh Curtis

Notts County could face delayed start to the National League

Notts County could face a delayed start to the season after the National League told clubs it will not begin if fans are not allowed to return to stadiums.

The Magpies are due to start their campaign on October 3 when they travel to Dover, but the country is currently fearing a second wave of coronavirus due to a severe spike in cases.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to address the country on Tuesday with a number of greater restrictions set to be applied in a bid to avoid a second national lockdown.

But that could have ramifications for football fans, many of whom had been hoping they would be given the green light to make a return to stadiums albeit at a reduced capacity.

Notts are allowed up to 1,000 fans inside Meadow Lane for this weekend's friendly against York City, and Notts Live understands there has been no change to those plans.

The  game was selected as a pilot event to safely welcome back supporters in Covid-secure conditions, but it is the opening day of the league campaign which is now becoming a concern.

And it is believed the National League has told clubs that the league will not start without fans being allowed through the turnstiles given matchday income is their main source of revenue.

Many clubs have already spoken of their fears about the financial ramifications involved in the lower leagues if games are continually played behind closed doors.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.