Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
National
Olimpia Zagnat

Nottingham's Christmas Market 'not the same' as Omicron variant affects footfall

Traders at Nottingham's Christmas Market have spoken out about the long-awaited winter attraction which they say was just "not the same" as it used to be.

The pandemic has caused many popular events to be cancelled including Goose Fair and Bonfire Night, with many hoping that Nottingham's festive set-up in the Old Market Square would be the saving grace that everyone needed.

However, with winter celebrations coming to an end and stalls officially shutting today (December 31), traders have told of their experience at this year's market.

READ MORE: Get the latest city centre stories from Nottinghamshire Live

Gracie Vernon, who owns the popular Churros stall, said it was her eighth year coming to Nottingham's Christmas Market.

Speaking about this year's celebrations, she said: "It has been very busy in the first weeks, but then after Boris Johnson's announcement about the Omicron variant the footfall just dropped.

"Fewer people would come into the city centre, they were all wearing masks - I think everyone just got very scared."

The 32-year-old added: "It was nice to come to the market again, because I have been here for eight years - we have been the eyes and ears of the market, we have seen it all.

"Every year there is a great atmosphere, and it is nice to be around people.

"And before the announcement it was so lovely seeing people enjoying themselves, being loud, celebrating.

"But it just has not been the same this year."

James Freeman, co-owner of the Filthy Vegan, also present at the market this year, added: "It is quite sad that it is coming to an end.

James Freeman, 30, co-owner of the Filthy Vegan (Olimpia Zagnat)

"It is just that we have had a long year and we were looking forward to it."

The 30-year-old added: "I think that overall it has been great - but not like previous years."

While the market was successful in previous editions, last year's market was axed after just one day amid fears of crowds rammed together with a lack of social distancing, despite being under Tier 3 restrictions at the time.

The 30-year-old added: "We definitely had more people in the market before.

"And the last few days were quite quiet - but still a good year compared to last year's."

For one trader it was the first time she attended Nottingham's Christmas Market as a stallholder.

Natalie Wood, who runs Lebanese Wraps, added: "I think it was really good considering the times we are living in right now.

"It is true that after the Omicron announcement the footfall dropped massively.

"But I think we had a fair amount of people enjoying themselves.

"Now I think it is time for us to call it a day."

To read all the biggest and best stories first sign up to read our newsletters here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.