Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
Sport
Paul Skrbina

Notre Dame's Ronnie Stanley says NFL is next

Dec. 22--Ronnie Stanley will return to Notre Dame's campus in the spring.

But unlike earlier this year, he won't be donning an Irish football uniform.

The senior left tackle, who is eligible for a fifth college season in 2016, confirmed Monday that he will enter the NFL draft, in which he's projected to be a top-10 pick. First, though, he said he will return to complete some graduate courses.

"Pretty easy," Stanley said of the decision to leave. "I knew if I came back (a year ago), this would be the last year. It wasn't really something I thought about."

The 6-foot-51/2, 315-pound Stanley and defensive lineman Sheldon Day both pondered entering the draft after the 2014 season but decided to return for a shot at a national championship.

In lieu of that goal, the eighth-ranked Irish (10-2) will face No. 7 Ohio State (11-1) on New Year's Day in the Fiesta Bowl. Stanley cited watching Ohio State win the national title last season as a big reason for his return this year.

"Playoffs, that was our goal; that was everything we were going for," he said. "We came up short on that end. We still have another game to play. We're not looking at this as any less than a national championship."

The consensus All-American also is looking at the test within the test. His name is Joey Bosa, a fellow projected high draft pick who plays defensive end for the Buckeyes.

Stanley said he likely will train in his native Las Vegas for the first part of next semester before returning to South Bend to complete his business degree. He knows his final game in an Irish uniform could play a role in where he's drafted.

"You're preparing yourself for the next level, and this game is an opportunity for me to take advantage and showcase my skills of being a top tackle," Stanley said.

Stanley was named the Irish's most valuable offensive player. He is one of five Notre Dame players -- along with receiver Will Fuller, running back C.J. Prosise, cornerback KeiVarae Russell and linebacker Jaylon Smith -- being evaluated by the NFL Draft Advisory Board.

"People have been telling me I'm the best my whole life. That doesn't do anything for me," Stanley said. "The only thing that really means anything is what I do."

This year he anchored a line that was a finalist for the Joe Moore Award, which honors the top offensive line in the country.

Stanley would have been eligible to play next season after appearing in just two games during his freshman season. He has started 38 games in a row the last three years.

After Jan. 1, he'll be just another student at Notre Dame.

pskrbina@tribpub.com

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.